Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't need financing but want Elon's guaranteed buy back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. same one.

50% of 60, then 43% of 85. Name another car company that has a residual as convoluted as that. Pretty bad either way...but it's all a crap shoot anyways.

Name a car company who doesn't have a residual that adjusts based on a higher retention for the base and lower retained value of options and higher-priced trims? Perhaps you are mistaking Tesla's language here? It is not 50% of all 60kwh cars, and 43% of all 85kwh cars. The residual guarantee is based on 50% of the base price of the car, and 43% of all options purchased, including the optional increased battery size (and the optional perf upgrade, and the optional +package, and...). It's actually quite simple, substantially more simplistic than what ALG reports for other auto manufacturers.

Your car will definitely have the worst residual value guarantee % of pretty much any all teslas on the road, since you got one with a lot of expensive options that retain their value more poorly than the base car. But you keep seeming to insist that this is outside the norm. It is not.

Here's some more ALG data to demonstrate what many on this thread keep trying to explain to you.

5-Series BMW
http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=BMW&modelname=5+SERIES&year=2013

Note the residual at 3 years
528i - 47%
535i - 46%
550i - 44%
...and that the residual for specific options are substantially less than 40%
Blind Spot detection - $175 from $800 MSRP (22%)
Backup Camera - $150 from $700 MSRP (21%)
Rear Entertainment System - $625 from $1500 MSRP (42%)
etc
etc

Audi A7
http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Audi&modelname=A7&year=2013#
A7 Premium - 47%
A7 Premium Plus - 46%
A7 Prestige - 45%
Blind Spot Detection - $175 from $800 MSRP (22%)
Sport package - $500 from $1500 (33%)

And Porsche Panamera residuals vary quite wildly based on trim level, with a fairly consistent reduction in total residual as the MSRP of the trim rises in price (indicating that the extra cost of the increased trim has a much much lower residual than the base price)
http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Porsche&modelname=PANAMERA&year=2013
Platinum Edition - $83k MSRP, 55% residual at year 3
Turbo S - $192k MSRP, 42% residual at year 3

Those Porsche do seem to have very high residuals compared to the mass-produced manufacturers. One more reason they are a step ahead of the industry and really a company that Tesla should aspire to (to the extent they aspire to mimic any best practices in the auto industry). We can all hope that, as Tesla proves its value and develops its luxury brand bona fides, the car's actual residual value is 3 years will be closer to Porsche levels than the rest of the industry. but if it isn't, there's still plenty of room for it to claim "the best" against the 99% non-Porsche portion of the industry that qualifies as high-volume manufacturers.

Name a car company who doesn't have a residual that adjusts based on a higher retention for the base and lower retained value of options and higher-priced trims? Perhaps you are mistaking Tesla's language here? It is not 50% of all 60kwh cars, and 43% of all 85kwh cars. The residual guarantee is based on 50% of the base price of the car, and 43% of all options purchased, including the optional increased battery size (and the optional perf upgrade, and the optional +package, and...). It's actually quite simple, substantially more simplistic than what ALG reports for other auto manufacturers.

Your car will definitely have the worst residual value guarantee % of pretty much any all teslas on the road, since you got one with a lot of expensive options that retain their value more poorly than the base car. But you keep seeming to insist that this is outside the norm. It is not.

Here's some more ALG data to demonstrate what many on this thread keep trying to explain to you.

5-Series BMW
http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=BMW&modelname=5+SERIES&year=2013

Note the residual at 3 years
528i - 47%
535i - 46%
550i - 44%
...and that the residual for specific options are substantially less than 40%
Blind Spot detection - $175 from $800 MSRP (22%)
Backup Camera - $150 from $700 MSRP (21%)
Rear Entertainment System - $625 from $1500 MSRP (42%)
etc
etc

Audi A7
http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Audi&modelname=A7&year=2013#
A7 Premium - 47%
A7 Premium Plus - 46%
A7 Prestige - 45%
Blind Spot Detection - $175 from $800 MSRP (22%)
Sport package - $500 from $1500 (33%)

And Porsche Panamera residuals vary quite wildly based on trim level, with a fairly consistent reduction in total residual as the MSRP of the trim rises in price (indicating that the extra cost of the increased trim has a much much lower residual than the base price)
http://www.cars.com/go/alg/index.jsp?makename=Porsche&modelname=PANAMERA&year=2013
Platinum Edition - $83k MSRP, 55% residual at year 3
Turbo S - $192k MSRP, 42% residual at year 3

Those Porsche do seem to have very high residuals compared to the mass-produced manufacturers. One more reason they are a step ahead of the industry and really a company that Tesla should aspire to (to the extent they aspire to mimic any best practices in the auto industry). We can all hope that, as Tesla proves its value and develops its luxury brand bona fides, the car's actual residual value is 3 years will be closer to Porsche levels than the rest of the industry. but if it isn't, there's still plenty of room for it to claim "the best" against the 99% non-Porsche portion of the industry that qualifies as high-volume manufacturers.

I'm fully aware how it all works--trust me. And yes, higher end, tend to have lower residual.

Anyways, done with this thread, but thanks for the info...should be good for others to see how things compare.

As I stated before, no one will really know for a few years as a secondary market builds.

All is good on my end--looking forward to P85+. :cool: