Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't need PPF? Think again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm still not sold on a full wrap of the car, the rocker before the rear wheels are already peppered. This is 2,000 miles, only.

I plan on getting this area protected before the snow and salt arrive. Alternative is to look for mud guards, but not a lot of options out there. Getting this area done won't cost much and is a cleaner look, for sure.

Good news is, so far, in daylight and every day conditions the peppering isn't easy to see. This was with my 4K lumen flashlight. But during a wash, I can certainly see the damage as I'm working down in that area.

And as ownership goes on and I get more familiar with the paint on this car, I will say this is by far the worst paint I've ever had on any car. Still love the car. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    653.3 KB · Views: 259
A few weeks ago I noticed that Tesla was finally selling the kit for the Model 3 on their website with two position mud flaps in the US. Previously this was only available as a free option for "certain" Canadian owners. Intestinally these also offered precut PPF for the rear rockers. As I recall it you could buy the (Model 3) mud flaps separate or as a bundle. I went to look today for something similar for Y and found nothing, but I also noticed the 3 kit was gone to as well as bunch of other items. Is the Tesla Shop just out of stock on most everything ? Of course you can get a small roll of PPF off Amazon for $20 and cut your own. I has hoped that the plastic trim around the Y bottom and wheels would resolve the issues with the 3. It appears not. Tesla just either sucks at paint or getting the aero factor good enough to keep from ripping the paint off the car.

I’m soooo glad I decided to get full front and rocker PPF. We’ve had one snowstorm this season and the plow trucks put down a layer of sand, of course. Now driving on the dry roads all I can hear is that sand being kicked up against the sides all the time. Much more noticeable than in any other car I’ve had - must be the body shape.

I need the rocker PPF as well. Your picture looks exactly like the damage on my blue MY PUP at 4K miles.

I fabricated some temporary front end mud flaps until a real solution is available. I bought universal mud flaps from advance auto parts, trimmed them to follow MY wheel well lines, and mounted with trim screws and 3m trim adhesive tape at the top.

I couldn’t wait for a professional solution. Buffalo road salt would destroy my paint this winter without these installed.

EA458CF2-9235-4C94-BA9F-649A02573326.jpeg EED375E3-2609-44C3-852B-FF9913CC040F.jpeg 2467E002-2BBC-4441-AEC7-E5B23718FD76.jpeg

Reduce. Not solve. Unless you really push them well out past the body of the car.

There was someone that did tests using a Model 3 and attached different size and shape mudflats to show how much or less the spray was different between them. Nothing eliminated.

After I had full front wrap PPF installed, I asked my installer to give me some Xpel scraps which were enough to put some on these door flares as I saw a bunch of dirt accumulating on them.

Definitely a good idea to have PPF installed!

Tesla has a PPF kit for this for the 3, not sure if it will directly work for the Y or not. Its a known sensitive area for the 3, so we should also treat it as a sensitive area for the Y. I was planning to tape mine up for the trip home from delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Celeritas
I don’t think this issue gets enough attention. If you don’t have PPF installed it seems like only a matter of time before the damage accumulates. My white MYP has under 1000 miles and there are chips down to bare metal.

Attachments

• 60748982-DFB2-4DE2-8141-1C62923CBBE4.jpeg
    60748982-DFB2-4DE2-8141-1C62923CBBE4.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 6E657711-F458-48AD-A399-1AF2CD94CAE6.jpeg
    6E657711-F458-48AD-A399-1AF2CD94CAE6.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Informative
Reactions: Celeritas
PPF installed at 28mi. I have 3k on the clock now and only one spot in the PPF that hasn’t self healed. After every drive the rear door looks blasted and wipes away, but the plastic rocker is F’d. My wheels extend 10mm further than stock too so that makes things worse.
D188F62F-B749-4F4A-A33E-1428CFB6FE3C.jpeg
D230BCBD-D32E-4BE1-A9F0-780A88896AEF.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Modulus1