Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't order the White Leather - color transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
After having the car a few weeks I'm pretty disappointed to see some color transfer. I wear jeans to work and despite all of my work jeans being very well worn and having been washed dozens and dozens of times I'm seeing some light blue transfer. I knew to avoid brand new jeans etc. but this is really disheartening.
Does anyone know of any product that can be applied to leather to decrease stain transfer?

Ha ha ha ha ha. After a month of calling Tesla repeatedly to find out why my email change to Premium White interior still has not been reflected in my account, I finally bit the bullet and made the change on line through the back door edit (my edit button has been gone for months). Change now shows on my account and the first post I see when I click “New Posts” is “don’t get the White interior”!

Oh my, isn’t it ironic.

Ha ha ha ha ha. After a month of calling Tesla repeatedly to find out why my email change to Premium White interior still has not been reflected in my account, I finally bit the bullet and made the change on line through the back door edit (my edit button has been gone for months). Change now shows on my account and the first post I see when I click “New Posts” is “don’t get the White interior”!

Oh my, isn’t it ironic.
To be fair so far I will say "don't wear jeans" in it. It is possible that the color may come off easily, but TBD. I did proactively buy a seat cover (one that doesn't wrap so it won't interfere with air bags) that I may wind up using on daily drives. The white is gorgeous, but I was worried about stains. Can't do a black interior, so darn hot.

After having the car a few weeks I'm pretty disappointed to see some color transfer. I wear jeans to work and despite all of my work jeans being very well worn and having been washed dozens and dozens of times I'm seeing some light blue transfer. I knew to avoid brand new jeans etc. but this is really disheartening.
Does anyone know of any product that can be applied to leather to decrease stain transfer?

There is a popular Tesla YouTuber by the name of Bjørn Nyland who had the exact same issue. My recollection is it cleaned up fairly easily.

Here is a good video from Brian, owner of Peachstate Detail, cleaning up ultra white seats with ONR. Having seen him on the LikeTesla channel and knowing the amount of experience he has with Teslas (he is a Model X owner), I would endorse his suggestions for cleaning them up.

There is a popular Tesla YouTuber by the name of Bjørn Nyland who had the exact same issue. My recollection is it cleaned up fairly easily.

Here is a good video from Brian, owner of Peachstate Detail, cleaning up ultra white seats with ONR. Having seen him on the LikeTesla channel and knowing the amount of experience he has with Teslas (he is a Model X owner), I would endorse his suggestions for cleaning them up.

I noticed on my way into work this AM. I'll give it a light cleaning tonight. Hopefully I report back that I was worried about nothing. Will check out the ONR stuff for sure.

Last edited:
Another one for you to look at; Derik runs the TeslaInventory.com site and makes a ton of YT videos. In this one he actually wore new, unwashed blue jeans for a couple months in order to intentionally stain his seats. Uses three different cleaners and they all seemed to work well (though I think dish soap would def dry out your seats too much IMO.) I'd still go with Optimum No Rinse your seats should clean up well no matter method you employ.

Thanks guys, feeling a lot better. On my last car (Toyota highlander) I did wear unwashed raw jeans quite a bit and wound up with a lot of transfer on the tan leather seats. I was able to get most of it off eventually but they also weren't white. :)

+1 on CQuartz Leather. I too am a jeans guy and haven't had any color transfer on my white seats. I applied CQuartz Leather shortly after I got the car a couple months ago. Glad I did. :)

Be sure to get a leather cleaner on there first to get rid of the blue. No sense coating your leather if you're going to be protecting in the wrong color!

No transfer wearing cargo shorts and flip flps.

Cargo shorts + flip flops + Tesla is 3 essential items in the douchebag kit. 4 items if you got a pumpkin space latte in your cup holder. ;)

Baby wipes, I have been told does an amazing job on keeping the white seats clean.

I'll see how it goes as I'm switching to jeans from cargo shorts with fall around the corner.

No transfer wearing cargo shorts and flip flps.

Cargo shorts + flip flops + Tesla is 3 essential items in the douchebag kit. 4 items if you got a pumpkin space latte in your cup holder. ;)

Baby wipes, I have been told does an amazing job on keeping the white seats clean.

I'll see how it goes as I'm switching to jeans from cargo shorts with fall around the corner.
I meant to update. After trying a few things I'm feeling much better about the white. I think it might just be as stain resistant as some claim.

Reactions: MXWing
I was surprised at this thread because we haven’t had any issues with staining and discoloration of the white interior in our X that we’ve had for more than 2.5 years. It’s very easy to clean and maintain and is one of the main reasons why I got the white interior in my 3.

Glad to hear your impression of the white interior is changing positively.

• Informative
Reactions: austinmichaeld
Model 3 white is definitely stain proof/resistant. I spilled coffee in my seat last night when getting out of the car and didnt notice. it was pooled when I found it this afternoon and dried in places. with water and a microfiber it wiped right off

Um, hmm, ok thanks rofl. The sky is bright when the sun is out also. Just wanted to let you know. I prefer black seats :)

Reactions: Nvbob