Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't take your hands off the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
Last Thursday, I was headed home from San Francisco on 24 Eastbound. Went thought the Caldecott tunnels. Was in the right most lane of the right tunnel. A couple of hundred feet before the end of the tunnel, AutoPilot suddenly swerved right and hit the curb. I had my hand on the wheel and reacted quickly. Quick enough that the only damage was a curbed rim and a messed up section of my aero hubcap.

This was on 2019.12.1.1. I forgot to hit the steering wheel button and say "Bug Report WTFU HAPPENED" The next morning I received 2019.12.1.2 and AutoPilot handled the same tunnel perfectly on Saturday.

I love my car, but I try to keep at least one hand on the wheel 99% of the time.

It's a fact of life with autopilot that eventually you're going to have to take over instantaneously. And that's why you get the warning right off the bat to keep your hand(s) on the wheel when you engage autopilot. I'm always astonished at the people who complain about the steering wheel nag - properly used, there's no nag.

I'm glad you were able to recover from your bad situation with only minor damage!

Last Thursday, I was headed home from San Francisco on 24 Eastbound. Went thought the Caldecott tunnels. Was in the right most lane of the right tunnel. A couple of hundred feet before the end of the tunnel, AutoPilot suddenly swerved right and hit the curb. I had my hand on the wheel and reacted quickly. Quick enough that the only damage was a curbed rim and a messed up section of my aero hubcap.

This was on 2019.12.1.1. I forgot to hit the steering wheel button and say "Bug Report WTFU HAPPENED" The next morning I received 2019.12.1.2 and AutoPilot handled the same tunnel perfectly on Saturday.

I love my car, but I try to keep at least one hand on the wheel 99% of the time.

There are known issues with Auto Steering and Tunnels in versions at least up until (and including) 12.1.1. Tesla developed a fix for one that has been plaguing me in the NY Holland Tunnel in 30-45% of the attempts where AP will suddenly disable itself. I haven't had a chance to test 12.1.2 yet, but likely will tomorrow -- this also taught me a valuable lesson in terms of getting too comfortable with AP. The first time it happened, the car was turning a corner in the tunnel and would have hit the wall of the tunnel had I not intervened. I managed to capture the failure in another attempt and posted it in another thread: AP disengaged while driving - Radar Failure (release 2019.8.3)

Basing any speculation on HW3 capabilities on the existing HW2.x NN makes as much sense as concluding a 12 month old will never, ever, walk since they keep falling over when they try.
Exactly. HW2.5 uses cropped partial resolution images. Using full resolution images should allow better detection of objects and lane markings, especially those further away.

Basing any speculation on HW3 capabilities on the existing HW2.x NN makes as much sense as concluding a 12 month old will never, ever, walk since they keep falling over when they try.

If Tesla can make its self driving cars even a tiny fraction as capable as a baby, I think we will be in great hands. The rate of a baby’s neural learning program is unparalleled in the world of computing today and it’s unbelievably efficient in terms of energy consumption, coming in at less than 20 watts ;)

I'm always amazed that people have the cojones to use autosteer in lanes without a shoulder :eek:
Glad the damage was minimal!
Oh sure, I'm one of those people and I shake my head. :p

I once had it take a run at a curb, I think it was construction related munging up of the lines plus who knows what else. It didn't reproduce the next time I went on that route.

I was fortunate to be quicker, and yes I 'always' have my hand on the wheel, so no contact. Usually my hand is at 4 o'clock, I don't trust that "hand on the inside the wheel at 5:30" stuff. Besides lacking the same leverage from that 5:30 position, that feels to me like a position my arm could get jammed up by via a fast moving steering wheel. I'm old, I don't heal as fast as I used to.

If Tesla can make its self driving cars even a tiny fraction as capable as a baby, I think we will be in great hands. The rate of a baby’s neural learning program is unparalleled in the world of computing today and it’s unbelievably efficient in terms of energy consumption, coming in at less than 20 watts ;)

You really should not need to plug your baby in...

And one day you won't... thanks to Mr. Fusion!

I've taken to having a 90 gram weight on the right wheel side, at
the junction of the spoke, and keeping my hand on the weight, that's
3 o'clock, or just below at 4 o'clock with fingers on the weight. I use
the Sport steering mode. At 90 grams it's enough that I don't get
nags with my hand there, but would if I removed it completely. It's
just at the hairy edge, so I don't have to tug or rock the wheel, which
was causing it to drop out of AP sometimes. But I would NEVER
drive without a hand on the wheel. Although it keeps getting better,
and 2019.12.1.2 is great overall, to where it's been perfect so far,
there are always possible causes for problems in the right lane,
like poorly maintained lines, and I've had a couple cases with 8.5
where the car thinks the shoulder is a perfectly good place to be ;-)

After any update it makes sense to update the App, reboot the
screen fully with foot on brake, and do a 3 min Power Off reboot.
Then it seems to take a couple miles on autopilot for it to "learn".

Also it's worth making sure all the cameras are free of dust etc.
We have a lot of pollen and dust now that builds up very quickly.
The AP will drive fine even with some dust, but does better w/out.
It only takes a quick pass around the car with a microfiber cloth
in hand. Like checking an aircraft before taking off.

With these steps, FWIW, I've been really pleased with 2019.12.1.2,
very human-like lane changes with acceleration, Mad Max moving
into the faster lane, merging, exiting, everything right on. My wife
is no longer clawing into the seat.

There are known issues with Auto Steering and Tunnels in versions at least up until (and including) 12.1.1. Tesla developed a fix for one that has been plaguing me in the NY Holland Tunnel in 30-45% of the attempts where AP will suddenly disable itself. I haven't had a chance to test 12.1.2 yet, but likely will tomorrow -- this also taught me a valuable lesson in terms of getting too comfortable with AP. The first time it happened, the car was turning a corner in the tunnel and would have hit the wall of the tunnel had I not intervened. I managed to capture the failure in another attempt and posted it in another thread: AP disengaged while driving - Radar Failure (release 2019.8.3)

...But we sure can conclude that 12-month-old will not be running marathons, solo, by the end of the year. Or next year. Or the one after that.
Robin