Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't take your hands off the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also watch those blue lines on the instrument cluster, or in M3 on the dash.
When both disappear the car lost reference of edge markers, big things are happening.

I remember in 2015 when car was following trucks into exits and swerve hard right on hilltops
with sun shining, or no AP in darkness.

We have come a long way for sure, even on my AP1 car, but computers are dumb.
Give them enough variables and they will get you nixed.

I'm going to be a late adopter to AP or FSD. I love driving, but I hate traffic like anyone else. For my money, motorcycles are the best way to deal with traffic here in SoCal if it's just me needing to go somewhere and the weather is good. I've ridden SO much in the cold and rain that I'm sick to the back teeth of that, which is another reason I want a car.

However, I would love the option to spend less and only have summon mode and parking assistance. I don't plan on using AP anytime soon. I don't suppose there's a way to only get summon and parking assistance though, so I'm all in or all out I guess. At least I can add it later as the price goes up. I only want fully-fledged FSD, but I see summon and parking assistance being quite useful right now.

For reducing stress in SoCal traffic, you don't need full time FSD or even AP. Even a short time spent using TACC in the worst and slowest portion of the commute can be very helpful. Suggest get a used AP1 car which will have the above plus limited summon/parking assist, plus a sunroof too, to avoid that closed in feeling...

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I love driving, but I hate traffic like anyone else...... .... I don't plan on using AP anytime soon

I can only say this: AP is amazing in heavy traffic. I simply cannot imagine driving a Tesla with no AP for the mundane soul sucking commutes. If you are going to be carried away by these exaggerated, "AP tried to kill me" posts, I feel sorry for you.

Using AP with a bit of common sense, is the best stress reducer on a slow long arduous commute, only next to not driving at all.

I can only say this: AP is amazing in heavy traffic. I simply cannot imagine driving a Tesla with no AP for the mundane soul sucking commutes. If you are going to be carried away by these exaggerated, "AP tried to kill me" posts, I feel sorry for you.

Using AP with a bit of common sense, is the best stress reducer on a slow long arduous commute, only next to not driving at all.
Exactly. I use AP1 often in city traffic, on freeways, and even on jammed freeways. It's a great safety backup if I have to take my eyes off the road for a bit.

Reactions: Fernand
For reducing stress in SoCal traffic, you don't need full time FSD or even AP.
Even a short time spent using TACC in the worst and slowest portion of the commute can be very helpful. Suggest get a used AP1 car which will have the above plus limited summon/parking assist, plus a sunroof too, to avoid that closed in feeling...
- in the case of a Model 3/Y is there any difference between the AP and TACC? (or TACC is only for Model S/X ?)

- I wonder if it's possible to disable FSD to evaluate how the car behave with only AP to have a real idea of the difference?

- If I don't engage FSD (double tap) should the car be automatically be in TACC or AP?
Or if you don't have only FSD, do you still need to activate (double tap) to engage TACC or AP?

- in the case of a Model 3/Y is there any difference between the AP and TACC? (or TACC is only for Model S/X ?)

- I wonder if it's possible to disable FSD to evaluate how the car behave with only AP to have a real idea of the difference?

- If I don't engage FSD (double tap) should the car be automatically be in TACC or AP?
Or if you don't have only FSD, do you still need to activate (double tap) to engage TACC or AP?

In all models, what people refer to as AP (and what you refer to as the double tap) is usually TACC (control my speed) and AutoSteer (keep me in the lane). There is no difference in the behavior or performance of those two functions whether you have the FSD license or not. There may or may not be performance/behavior differences in those two lately when it comes to HW3 vs HW2/2.5. My guess is that HW3 is incidentally better/different in some cases, but not doing anything fundamentally different. HW3 will certainly behave differently once the "4D rewrite" is done, but again, I wouldn't expect any difference based on having bought the FSD option.

All the other stuff (changing lanes when you signal, changing lanes automatically, taking exits, recognizing traffic lights and lane markings, summon, taking turns on city streets eventually etc) are parts of the EAP/FSD options. Those DO have performance and behavior differences based on hardware. For example HW2.5 wasn't getting out of the passing lane for a few releases even though HW3 cars were. But you either have them or don't based on the license.

For reducing stress in SoCal traffic, you don't need full time FSD or even AP. Even a short time spent using TACC in the worst and slowest portion of the commute can be very helpful. Suggest get a used AP1 car which will have the above plus limited summon/parking assist, plus a sunroof too, to avoid that closed in feeling...

Yeah I think I'd trust it more once I was able to use it in a safe and secure area. It's a total unknown to me right now. I hear great things with the odd bad thing, but statistically it sounds like the good far outweighs the bad. All Teslas have the AP right? Am I able to do any of this if I skip FSD?

Yeah I think I'd trust it more once I was able to use it in a safe and secure area. It's a total unknown to me right now. I hear great things with the odd bad thing, but statistically it sounds like the good far outweighs the bad. All Teslas have the AP right? Am I able to do any of this if I skip FSD?

All Teslas (since late 2016) have the hardware for AP.

All Teslas purchased since roughly April 2019 (except the $35,000 base SR Model 3) have basic autopilot software enabled as well....with FSD as a paid option.

Cars prior to April 2019 might have any one of 3 different softwares enabled depending on what they bought when-

Basic AP (for March 2019 bought cars, as well as cars prior to that that didn't buy any software features before March 2019)

Basic AP is just TACC and autosteer in a single lane- that's it.

EAP- This was the "base" purchasable software prior to March 2019.... and included all existing features of FSD except stoplight and stoplight reactions. It's not been available for purchase since March 2019 though....so this includes summon, enhanced summon, Navigate on Autopilot, auto lane changes, self parking, etc...

FSD- For EAP folks who bought (or buy going forward) FSD they only additional feature they get right now is the stoplight/stopsign stuff. For basic AP folks however (who pay more for FSD) they get all the additional features.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
All Teslas (since late 2016) have the hardware for AP.

All Teslas purchased since roughly April 2019 (except the $35,000 base SR Model 3) have basic autopilot software enabled as well....with FSD as a paid option.

Cars prior to April 2019 might have any one of 3 different softwares enabled depending on what they bought when-

Basic AP (for March 2019 bought cars, as well as cars prior to that that didn't buy any software features before March 2019)

Basic AP is just TACC and autosteer in a single lane- that's it.

EAP- This was the "base" purchasable software prior to March 2019.... and included all existing features of FSD except stoplight and stoplight reactions. It's not been available for purchase since March 2019 though....so this includes summon, enhanced summon, Navigate on Autopilot, auto lane changes, self parking, etc...

FSD- For EAP folks who bought (or buy going forward) FSD they only additional feature they get right now is the stoplight/stopsign stuff. For basic AP folks however (who pay more for FSD) they get all the additional features.

Thank you Knightshade!