Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't tint your windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got off the phone with our Tesla service person and he warned against tinting your windshield. Apparently it could affect AP as it analyzes colors, etc. This is the case even if the tint doesn't cover the cameras.

Anyway, I thought I would pass on the info (don't shoot the messenger).

The way he described it, it would not affect AP1. It is about how the cameras (which are not online yet) see stop signs, other road signs (colors), etc. And no, it wasn't because the tint was cheap. It was the Spectra Photosync.

Again, just to add the complete picture (and I'm sure another round of "he's crazy"), but he also said there are sensors near the FWD moonroof windows that could get damaged (and cost $4K to replace) if they are exposed to any heat source (involved in tinting them).

Again, just providing the group with what I learned. I'm not tinting any of them. PAYOR

One of the tint dealer in Hong Kong told me the same thing but didn't have this full explanation. He said that Tesla advised the industry to not to tint the windows as it an affect the sensors. I asked the DS, but he said he has not heard of this. Heat damaging outside senors near the FWD would make more sense than blocking the front camera..

I just got off the phone with our Tesla service person and he warned against tinting your windshield. Apparently it could affect AP as it analyzes colors, etc. This is the case even if the tint doesn't cover the cameras......snip........ .
tesla service critter says it? Heck ... must be true then!
:p
yea - I began rethinking service critter veracity once their stock ghosting alibi became, "all of the windshields are like that" - when in fact they're not. don't get me wrong, they are very nice, gracious & sympathetic folks - & I don't doubt them that much, only when their lips are moving.
;)

Curious why you guys chose to tint windshield. Is this for ghosting or to stop stone chips/damage? I can live with ghosting in my car, but would certainly want to decrease chances of it cracking with stones.
In AZ it is to keep the UV and heat out of the car. Already been in the 90's here this year. Summer right around the corner.
Have had no issues with AP1

Curious why you guys chose to tint windshield. Is this for ghosting or to stop stone chips/damage? I can live with ghosting in my car, but would certainly want to decrease chances of it cracking with stones.
has nothing to do with rock chips. Our photosync application is installed on the inside of the car - just like when people install darker tint on side and rear windows..

I don't wear sunglasses in the car and I'm not a sun lover, yet live in San Diego. Especially in the Model X, heat and glare from the sun is way too strong for me.