Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't trade in your Tesla to Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not worth it!

Take the time to sell privately and you will make SO MUCH MORE!

Here is what they offered for my car yesterday. (Paid $74,000 plus tax)

I wonder what they would have offered if I didn't get FSD (my guess is exactly the same since Tesla doesn't value FSD at all despite what Elon says... so much for "your car will be an appreciating asset", LOL)

2018 Tesla Model 3
LR RWD with FSD
76,605 kms​
Net trade-in credit*
$33,400​

Feel free to share your Tesla trade-in values :)

Bit surprised on how low my came in. I bought mine a few months before COVID became a huge thing hence the low milage. I have FSD as well, but the email didn't mention it. I compered this to Autotrader national listings and it seems I could get $10,000 via a private sale for an identical model with way more miles.

2019 Tesla Model 3
Long Range AWD
15,007 kms​
Net trade-in credit*
$50,700​

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
The California market is pretty good actually; especially Los Angeles.

Tesla actually offered me +$5k over market when I bought my last new one.

That one however didn't have FSD and the new one does. I knew FSD wouldn't really be considered with Tesla for future trade-ins so when this car goes I'll be taking it to CarMax who tends to pay about as well as private sale.

Reactions: Tedkidd
It's not worth it!

Take the time to sell privately and you will make SO MUCH MORE!

Here is what they offered for my car yesterday. (Paid $74,000 plus tax)

I wonder what they would have offered if I didn't get FSD (my guess is exactly the same since Tesla doesn't value FSD at all despite what Elon says... so much for "your car will be an appreciating asset", LOL)

2018 Tesla Model 3
LR RWD with FSD
76,605 kms​
Net trade-in credit*
$33,400​

Feel free to share your Tesla trade-in values :)

I tried my luck again a couple weeks ago. They gave me the following number:

2018 Tesla Model 3
LR RWD, MCR with FSD
42,000 kms​
Net trade-in credit*
$38,400​

For just a $2,000 difference, I'll take the convenience of the trade in instead of selling privately.......if the trade in value was $5-$10K less than selling it privately, then I'll do the work of the private sale.

Agreed.

But besides the convenience Tesla also doesn’t inspect the car, unlike CarMax, Carvana, etc.

When I traded my Audi in on one of my older Tesla they only wanted basic details on the car and never even looked at it. They didn’t even check the odometer.

Agreed.

But besides the convenience Tesla also doesn’t inspect the car, unlike CarMax, Carvana, etc.

When I traded my Audi in on one of my older Tesla they only wanted basic details on the car and never even looked at it. They didn’t even check the odometer.
Funny, outside of the odometer, that’s been my experience selling three cars to Carvana. They checked odometer but nothing else.

For just a $2,000 difference, I'll take the convenience of the trade in instead of selling privately.......if the trade in value was $5-$10K less than selling it privately, then I'll do the work of the private sale.
In the US, one reason to trade in a vehicle when you buy is that the sales tax is net of the trade in. Sounds like the same is true for Canada:

The other benefit for trading in your vehicle for another vehicle is the tax savings. For example, you want to trade in your car for $8,000 in order to purchase a $30,000 vehicle from the dealer. In this situation, you only wind up paying tax on the reduced price after the trade in value is removed — meaning you only pay tax on $22,000 instead of on the full $30,000.

Last edited: