Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't trade in your Tesla to Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, outside of the odometer, that’s been my experience selling three cars to Carvana. They checked odometer but nothing else.
I just sold my '18 Kia Stinger 3.3T GT2 to Carvana and they gave it a quick once over and a test drive around the block, but other than that it was the offer they made based on the VIN and a threat that if it is not in the condition you claim they can reject the offer (they didn't). Used car prices have been thru the roof for the past few months but I heard last week they are starting to soften.

Reactions: El joe
In the US, one reason to trade in a vehicle when you buy is that the sales tax is net of the trade in. Sounds like the same is true for Canada:

The other benefit for trading in your vehicle for another vehicle is the tax savings. For example, you want to trade in your car for $8,000 in order to purchase a $30,000 vehicle from the dealer. In this situation, you only wind up paying tax on the reduced price after the trade in value is removed — meaning you only pay tax on $22,000 instead of on the full $30,000.
Same in Ontario at least. It used to be (long time ago) Tesla could do a convenience trade (they take your car in at the private buyer price and flip it right to the buyer) but no longer. Now Tesla consistently gives a low trade in value. Though with the save on taxes and save on hassles, it may still be worth it.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I also posted this in another thread but appropriate here. Tesla offered me $30,100 for my 2019 SR+ with 22,000 km in May. Just returned from the Ford dealer in Pickering and was offered $40,000 with 23500 km to trade towards a Mach e. The dealer told me they are able to sell to the U.S. so get USD therefore the good trade in value.

I also posted this in another thread but appropriate here. Tesla offered me $30,100 for my 2019 SR+ with 22,000 km in May. Just returned from the Ford dealer in Pickering and was offered $40,000 with 23500 km to trade towards a Mach e. The dealer told me they are able to sell to the U.S. so get USD therefore the good trade in value.
Wow.. $10,000 difference in trade-in value.

Makes the point even more to not trade in to Tesla....

I don't know how it is in USA but Canada
Tesla trade in value is just ridiculous. I posted this in Canada trade in thread so just copied from there.

I got trade in estimate for $47000 for LRMY from tesla and when I went to local Chrysler dealer they offered $65000.

Isn't it just insane. I mean I understand having couple thousand difference but this is just absurd.

I want to trade in my model y for new model s and trading in directly would've been so much better as I can keep my MY untill I take delivery for model S.

But now my only option is to sell it to Chrysler dealer (they want it now and can't guarantee value after 2 months) and rent another car for 2 months. Which seems like too much headache. I am taking few days to think it over but getting more inclined towards not upgrading and keeping model Y for now.

Hopefully there will be some long range ev options from other manufacturers and I can ditch tesla.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I don't know how it is in USA but Canada
Tesla trade in value is just ridiculous. I posted this in Canada trade in thread so just copied from there.

I got trade in estimate for $47000 for LRMY from tesla and when I went to local Chrysler dealer they offered $65000.

Isn't it just insane. I mean I understand having couple thousand difference but this is just absurd.

I want to trade in my model y for new model s and trading in directly would've been so much better as I can keep my MY untill I take delivery for model S.

But now my only option is to sell it to Chrysler dealer (they want it now and can't guarantee value after 2 months) and rent another car for 2 months. Which seems like too much headache. I am taking few days to think it over but getting more inclined towards not upgrading and keeping model Y for now.

Hopefully there will be some long range ev options from other manufacturers and I can ditch tesla.
Holy sh!t. $18,000 difference in Value. Crazy!?!?

I might just try and see what some local dealerships offer for my car now....