Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't trust automatic gear selection on refreshed Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is all about your expectations. As an owner since 2015, I have been through many beta features. I knew going in that I was going to be on the cutting edge of what cars can do and that because of that, many features would not be ready for prime time. I gladly bought into it and I really enjoy it even if they don't always work. The first version of autopilot really felt like it was trying to kill you on the freeway.
I think many if not most of the early adopters felt this way. As the cars became more mainstream we now have owners who just want the car to work and features that aren't bullet proof and "making excuses" for them is criticized. I'll be the first to point out some things are not an improvement but just different, e.g. yoke on my Plaid, but it's all part of the experience.
If you don't want that experience, for the most part you can turn the features off that don't work for you reliably. I too have had auto select choose incorrectly 10% of the time. But I know the car will continue to evolve and eventually will get it right.

Reactions: WiLz and WhiteWi
I sure will. I drive cars very fast through the twisties and over rough surfaces and bumps. Handling, suspension tuning, and NVH are my main concerns, as well as steering feel. Straight line acceleration is fun, but I’m not really into that.
Either way, I’m bound to have fun.
Well, they had no cars for test driving. “We haven’t had any S for treat driving since June of last year” (??? What?)

I’ve signed up for a test drive when they become available.

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
Hey Glide, when I disagree with your statements it's because they are factually wrong. You appear to be systematically disagreeing with my posts that have no content to disagree with. You do see the difference, right? Seems purely retaliatory.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Yeah, auto-‘shift’ is so much better than the old stalk. It was just awful having to select direction with a satisfying touch of a physical lever, without ever looking down, instantly, with 100% reliability. Gosh I’m glad Tesla ruined that experience.

• Love
Reactions: captjoemcd
Yeah, auto-‘shift’ is so much better than the old stalk. It was just awful having to select direction with a satisfying touch of a physical lever, without ever looking down, instantly, with 100% reliability. Gosh I’m glad Tesla ruined that experience.
So you don’t like auto selection nor the swipe I take it.

I love it when my finger slides up or down on that smooth hard glass, it’s sublime. Although flipping a hard lever up or down does sound satisfying when you describe it too.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and WhiteWi
That is not my experience with the stalk (2015 P85D). I often find that the first push does nothing, and I have to push it again to actually shift into D/R. But it's inconsistent - it sometimes works on first try.
Some people thought that with Model 3 as well. Turned out they were just beating the idiot lights. Waiting a one count before pressing down and it’s consistent. Any chance that’s happening to you?

Reactions: jebinc
The problem is the inconsistency that frustrates users. Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't.

Imagine if it's an ATM that sometimes dispenses the correct amount of cash and sometimes shortchanges its customers.

Same with buying a calculator. The reason that we pay for the machine's ability is because of its repeatability and reliability: 2+2 must always display the result as 4 and never 3.
I never heard so many whiners and complainers in my life. Don't use it!