Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't try this on the highway... 2020.4.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I learned something new about Tesla's FSD AP. Luckily I'm still alive.

When going on the highway with AP ON (without NoAP) and you are passing your exit, literally going next to the exit lane AND you enable NoAP car just rips towards the exit lane. Luckily for me the road was dry and tires still grip. But I was almost thrown against the window as I pressed "Navigate on AP" button.

Holy FG I will not do that again.

When going on the highway with AP ON (without NoAP) and you are passing your exit, literally going next to the exit lane AND you enable NoAP car just rips towards the exit lane. Luckily for me the road was dry and tires still grip. But I was almost thrown against the window as I pressed "Navigate on AP" button.

Where is the video?

Maybe enable NoA at the beginning of the trip instead of messing with the screen while you're driving?

Remember, AutoPilot is an "Advanced Driver Assistance System." You are in charge of the car.You choose to ask the car to use NoA at the last possible moment, and the car complied with your physical request. If it hadn't taken the exit, undoubtably you would be here complaining about that.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else. That is pretty much just trying to think of a way to put the car in a dangerous situation. I'm sure Tesla engineers attempt crazy stuff like that to test their systems. But it is on a closed course, with safety personnel at the ready and a professional driver anticipating the worst case scenario. Don't do your own limit testing in public.

Reactions: M109Rider
Even engaging normal AP when slightly off-center within the lane will often result in a violent jerk to center the car. I‘ll never understand this.

it does and it is somewhat satisfying to do imho.
In Amsterdam there were so many Teslas, it's funny to see them on the motorway activating their autopilot and the car jerking towards the centre of the line heheh.

This is def one you should report to Tesla.

I don't agree with people saying enable NOAP at the beginning of the trip. I mean, why else allow you to enable/disable NOAP while driving? Sometimes you have it on at the beginning of your trip and decide that it's not changing lanes when you want it to, or it keeps juggling between two empty lanes... in which case you'd obviously want to turn off NOAP...

Though I agree that I wouldn't look at my screen and fiddle with it when there's a fork (and I'm in the lane that divides)...

I don't agree with people saying enable NOAP at the beginning of the trip. I mean, why else allow you to enable/disable NOAP while driving? Sometimes you have it on at the beginning of your trip and decide that it's not changing lanes when you want it to, or it keeps juggling between two empty lanes... in which case you'd obviously want to turn off NOAP...

Though I agree that I wouldn't look at my screen and fiddle with it when there's a fork (and I'm in the lane that divides)...

Turning it OFF isn't the issue.

The issue here was someone turning it ON- and doing so right before it would want to make a manouver so that it's likely starting it late and out of position.

And yeah that's just generally a poor idea.

I do have ONE spot where I do something like this- it's taking an interchange between 2 highways, the interchange is 2 lanes, but the right one I know will end in a bit over a mile... my exit is in ~2 miles...and if I stay in the left lane of the interchange ramp I can stay straight in that lane to my exit.

I turn off NoA once it goes to the interchange- because otherwise it will either:

A) Try and pass people in that right lane (because others know it's ending soon too and often don't clog it up)
or
B) Try and pass people on the left right after we're on the new highway, which means it'll then need to get BACK over into the lane it began in to take the exit in a mile or two- and might be thinking of doing so while that far right lane is still having folks merge left as it ends.

Much simpler (though probably a touch slower) to just stay in the one lane.

So as I say I turn off NoA when I get ON the interchange.

I turn it back on AFTER the interchange, when I'm in the "correct" doesn't go away far right lane, but still a good mile from my exit (so close enough it won't try passing anyone now) and then it takes the exit- no drama.

That's the only case I can think of where I do that in 70+ miles a day of driving though- almost all of it on NoA.

Yes, that is just bad programming by Tesla to not be able to gracefully handle a change in driving plans by the driver.

Perhaps. NOA is BETA software, meaning definitely NOT perfect and likely containing bugs. This is a new concept in vehicles that most drivers will be unfamiliar with. When the driver chooses to enable NOA (or Autosteer or TACC for that matter), they acknowledge & accept the risks and limitations and choose to drive the vehicle under those conditions - essentially becoming a beta-test driver for Tesla. The warnings are everywhere in the manual and on the in-car screen.

Any driver uncomfortable with this (the knowledge that the vehicle could take some strange uncommanded action at any time) should not operate the vehicle with any of the driver assist technology enabled.

It’s fun being on the edge of driving tech, but everything has its risks...

Reactions: BuggDDS
I'll have to test this myself because honestly I've never seen NoA do anything quickly.

If this is indeed the case then I think it's something that should be addressed.

The car needs to have the "don't worry about it, and safety is first" mentality when trying to switch lanes for an upcoming exit.