Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't use EVs in texas if you don't have your own home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The gas cars around the same price as Tesla usually have a gas mileage about 28 mpg combined. The cheapest mid-grade gas prices in the past 10 years in Texas was $1.60/gal. This converts to 5.71c/mi. (c=cents)
The supercharger costs seems being increased a lot this year, around 33c/kwh, and Tesla usually could run 4 mi/kwh. This converts to 8.25c/mi.
DO NOT EVER buy en EV car of any kind in Texas if you don't have your own home.

The gas cars around the same price as Tesla usually have a gas mileage about 28 mpg combined. The cheapest mid-grade gas prices in the past 10 years in Texas was $1.60/gal. This converts to 5.71c/mi. (c=cents)
The supercharger costs seems being increased a lot this year, around 33c/kwh, and Tesla usually could run 4 mi/kwh. This converts to 8.25c/mi.

Perhaps you should re do your calculations with the price of gas in texas right now which is no where near $1.60 a gallon (its >$3.00 a gallon).

This is just as bad as the meme thats running around of a person trying to say that driving an EV is the same thing as driving a semi truck, using per minute supercharger rates and then saying "it takes 8 hours to fill up".

Same deal with this post here, basically. If you want to use "lowest gas prices over the past 10 years" then you need to use "lowest electricity price over the last 10 years" as well, but I doubt you will do that because it doesnt fit the post you are trying to make.

Perhaps you should re do your calculations with the price of gas in texas right now which is no where near $1.60 a gallon (its >$3.00 a gallon).

This is just as bad as the meme thats running around of a person trying to say that driving an EV is the same thing as driving a semi truck, using per minute supercharger rates and then saying "it takes 8 hours to fill up".

Same deal with this post here, basically. If you want to use "lowest gas prices over the past 10 years" then you need to use "lowest electricity price over the last 10 years" as well, but I doubt you will do that because it doesnt fit the post you are trying to make.
OK, the average mid-grade price over 2000-22 is $2.56/gal => 9.14c/mi (assuming 28mpg comb.), only very little more than 8.25c/mi.

OK, the average mid-grade price over 2000-22 is $2.56/gal => 9.14c/mi (assuming 28mpg comb.), only very little more than 8.25c/mi.
And, whats the average electricity price over that same exact time frame of years (and of course everyone in texas drives efficient 28 MPG sedans, not Trucks or SUVs right?)

Let's see: Average mid grade price includes the year 2000. That's 22 years ago. There are people working full time right now who were born back that.

Want to get weirder? Back in the late 1950's, when a passenger in my parents cars, I remember gas a $0.149 a gallon. Yeah, 14 cents a gallon. Coming back from camping with the Boy Scouts in the early 1960's? A regular burger at McDonalds, yeah, that McDonalds, was $0.25.

So, citing gas prices from 2000 is, like, a) stupid, b) disingenuous, and c) just nuts.

Yes: Tesla electrical energy prices have gone up since I got a Tesla in 2018. So have electricity prices.

Let's see: Fast mid-grade gas prices right now in Austin, TX: GasBuddy says: $3.43 a gallon. 28 m/gal car gets you $3.43/gal x 1 gal/28 mi = 12 cents per mile. Let's say the SC's on the high side at $0.44/kW-hr. An M3 gets about 250 W-h/mile; so that's $0.44/kW-hr x 0.25 kW-hr/mile = 11 cents.

That would just be about parity, with the Tesla winning. Except the Tesla doesn't need oil changes, water pump changes, and has a heck of a lot fewer mechanical moving parts to go wrong.

And, finally: If one is getting electricity from home: That's typically 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost at an SC. Which is what Tesla says: If you're going on trips, it Superchargers. If you're local, use your local electrical.

Let's see: Average mid grade price includes the year 2000. That's 22 years ago. There are people working full time right now who were born back that.

Want to get weirder? Back in the late 1950's, when a passenger in my parents cars, I remember gas a $0.149 a gallon. Yeah, 14 cents a gallon. Coming back from camping with the Boy Scouts in the early 1960's? A regular burger at McDonalds, yeah, that McDonalds, was $0.25.

So, citing gas prices from 2000 is, like, a) stupid, b) disingenuous, and c) just nuts.

Yes: Tesla electrical energy prices have gone up since I got a Tesla in 2018. So have electricity prices.

Let's see: Fast mid-grade gas prices right now in Austin, TX: GasBuddy says: $3.43 a gallon. 28 m/gal car gets you $3.43/gal x 1 gal/28 mi = 12 cents per mile. Let's say the SC's on the high side at $0.44/kW-hr. An M3 gets about 250 W-h/mile; so that's $0.44/kW-hr x 0.25 kW-hr/mile = 11 cents.

That would just be about parity, with the Tesla winning. Except the Tesla doesn't need oil changes, water pump changes, and has a heck of a lot fewer mechanical moving parts to go wrong.

And, finally: If one is getting electricity from home: That's typically 1/3 to 1/4 of the cost at an SC. Which is what Tesla says: If you're going on trips, it Superchargers. If you're local, use your local electrical.
"If one is getting electricity from home"
??!!
I already said in the title: "If you don't have a house"

I compare the cost of charging the Tesla to the cost of filling up our RAV4 Hybrid. Gas is still around $3.60 a gallon. When I was looking at the per mile rates when supercharging last month on our trip, paying 35 cents a kWh, I was figuring it to be like paying $2.10 a gallon. It's still cheaper to charge the Tesla at an SC over putting gas in our hybrid for the same distance.

Do you think everyone is buying a $100K+ EV to save money?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
1. What car that goes 0-60 in < 4.5s gets 28 mpg or better?
2. What was the cost of DC fast charging in 2000-2010? How are you even making that comparison? It seems like you'll have to take the average gas price between 2012-2022 (which is higher than $2.56/gal) and compare to the average electricity price at DC fast charging stations in the same time period.

Of course, this analysis misses what is on pretty much every prospectus that "past performance is no guarantee of future results". Taxes on oil products are likely to go up to further discourage their use.

Reactions: KJD
I said in 2015, when every Tesla car had unlimited free supercharging, that "Nobody buys a Tesla to save money." The fact that there's discussion now, as there was then, about if it's really cheaper or not clearly shows that there's not enough difference to really matter. At best, it's a wash +/- a couple of hundred dollars a year.

just pointing out - before the superchargers arrived the vast majority of L2 chargers were free anyway - so free fill ups.
Not owning a home doesn't mean you can never plug in, real easy to plug in even when renting.
Live in an RV? Even better - easy access to 50A charging.
Live in a rental? - cool - easy access to 30A dryer socket or even easier access to 15/20A plugs. I had my first EV with no L2 charger, just used a 20A wall socket.
Dunno, maybe we are talking about not owning an EV if you live in a tent? Or not having any electricity.

also, after 100k miles in EVs, zero oil changes, zero brake jobs, zero coolant flushes, zero transmission work, zero A/B service visits.

• Funny
Reactions: Jane4 and jboy210
just pointing out - before the superchargers arrived the vast majority of L2 chargers were free anyway - so free fill ups.
Not owning a home doesn't mean you can never plug in, real easy to plug in even when renting.
Live in an RV? Even better - easy access to 50A charging.
Live in a rental? - cool - easy access to 30A dryer socket or even easier access to 15/20A plugs. I had my first EV with no L2 charger, just used a 20A wall socket.
Dunno, maybe we are talking about not owning an EV if you live in a tent? Or not having any electricity.

also, after 100k miles in EVs, zero oil changes, zero brake jobs, zero coolant flushes, zero transmission work, zero A/B service visits.
Yes. Where there is a will, there is a way.

And in some parts of the country, apartment owners are seeing EV charging as another source of income and installing chargers in certain parking spots and charging extra for those spots. One place I heard of charges an extra $70/mo. for a spot with charging with some sort of cap on kWh. Another townhouse development by me has teamed up with a provider and installed chargers on the streets in the development.

You also see chargers in many companies parking lots. These are usually for employees only and require employees to swipe their badges to activate the charger.