TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Don't want heater on, want vent

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by insaneoctane, Oct 9, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Afternoon is still warm enough to require AC. Next morning I keep forgetting and after about 10 minutes of driving I realize heater is on. It is around 62 degrees out which is lower than the 72 degree setting in the car. In that scenario I don't want heater! I want vent. Keep the car cool until I get to work Sometimes I can make it to work without any AC. But, my chances are lower for that if the damn heater has been running! No AC..No heater (waste of energy and don't want it hotter). Only solution I know is to turn it to manual and turn the temperature down to LOW. Kind of a pain in the azz to keep tweaking so many screen clicks and I keep forgetting ...

Give me a [HEATER] button that if I turn it off the auto settings will NOT be able to turn on the heater. Period. Lots of Tesla's in Southern California do not need the heater much at all....

• Like x 38
    • Love x 8
    • Informative x 1
  2. ilg

ilg Some guy on the Internet.

A better solution would be to provide 2 set points for the climate system: one for heating, one for cooling. The net result would be something like "keep the interior between 65 and 78," say.

• Like x 30
    • Love x 2
  3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

I agree, we have an off button for the AC, we should have one for the heat also.

• Like x 15
    • Love x 1
  4. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

I was just telling my wife this very thing this weekend. I want airflow, but no heat. We can force the AC off, but not the heater. Why?

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing every week. for example when driving on highway outside temperature starts to drop below AC set point, heat is always turned on automatically to compensate the difference. But as OP mentioned, just vent is enough to keep it comfortable. It's a waste of energy.

Yeah I think a button of "no heat" in the AC panel would be sufficient. If the AC thinks the temp difference is too big, it can force heat on automatically.

• Like x 2
  6. hamtonp

hamtonp Member

I agree with this. I wish there was a heater off button. I noticed the car does mix heater with a/c to get to a comfortable temperature. I sometimes lower the temperature and turn off the a/c to prevent this from happening.

• Like x 1
  7. Park2670

Park2670 Member

I loved the "Fan Only" option in my Volt and used it all the time. I wish other EVs would have this, simply for times like this when we dont need heat.

• Like x 8
  8. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Ya! I’ve been complaining about that too. I just want outside air. It gets stuffy with the Heat on. And I don’t want to waste electricity!

How do we tell Tesla to give us air only option. No heat. No AC!

• Like x 1
  9. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

In the morning, when the car has cooled down overnight, I find I have to set temp at 67-69.

In the afternoon, when the car has been warmed all day and the sensor overestimates temperature, I have to raise set point to 72 or 73.

At least it’s predictable ...

10. MX108

MX108 Member

+1 for a fan only setting.

My solution has been to set the temp to 'Lo' which seems to work, as long as the AC is off.

• Like x 5
  11. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

If you turn the AC off, the temp to low and recirculate off, you should be able to just draw in cool air from the outside. That's what I do in the mornings.

• Like x 2
  12. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

tweet to Elon, doesn't sound like something too difficult to program in.

• Like x 1
  13. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

It’s a lot of button pushes while driving.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  14. Raechris

Raechris Member

Agree - hvac has inflection point at 69 for hot cold then turn off compressor

15. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

What does the fan icon on the app do? Doesn't it just ventilate the car?

16. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

So, it's not just me, then. I was hoping that turning of AC would turn off the heater as well, but it didn't seem like it.

• Like x 1
  17. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

until they have a heater off button/setting I won't use Auto and will keep the temp down at the minimum and just use fan speed for temperature control.

18. chinnam3

chinnam3 Member

I agree and see this as problem too. I should be able to select just turn of heat. I have realized quite few times because of watt-hr/M only, because by default climate control is hidden and does not show it is heating or cooling. May be Tesla can show the Temp in Color Red while heating, blue while cooling and white when just airflow and allow us to switch by tapping?

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  19. Need

Need Active Member

It does show blue/red for cooling and heating on the expanded screen.. the one where you control the air flow. You just can't turn off heating. You could set the temp to LO and turn off AC.. that should do it...for SoCal. But if you are at colder places where temp drops below freezing, I don't think you can ever turn off heater.... not that you would want to.

20. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

I see your point of not wasting the car energy; but at the same time, it's nice to just hit auto and set the temp and let it do it thang. But i see your point, give more options to the user if they go manual.