Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does show blue/red for cooling and heating on the expanded screen.. the one where you control the air flow. You just can't turn off heating. You could set the temp to LO and turn off AC.. that should do it...for SoCal. But if you are at colder places where temp drops below freezing, I don't think you can ever turn off heater.... not that you would want to.
I know if I expand the screen I can see it. But by default/normally it is not expanded as it covers all controls/screen. Hence the suggestion that they Temp display can use colors to indicate the same without having to go to expanded mode. User can decide if they want to turn it off by going manual.

But having somekind of short cut would be even better.

I don't have my car yet so full disclosure (although so far still looking good for Friday morning delivery) but isn't this issue "solved" by not keeping the climate system on Auto? My Infinit QX60 seems to do something similar. If the setting is Auto, then it will move the temp to the set temp, whether that involves pushing cold air into the cabin or hot air.

I'd like a hard off option for the heater as well. I don't see the point in wasting juice until it get's actually cold out.

I don't have my car yet so full disclosure (although so far still looking good for Friday morning delivery) but isn't this issue "solved" by not keeping the climate system on Auto? My Infinit QX60 seems to do something similar. If the setting is Auto, then it will move the temp to the set temp, whether that involves pushing cold air into the cabin or hot air.
If you have it on auto the day before in warm afternoon sun it may be cooling you down to 70. The next morning it may be heating your car up to 70.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
If I had my way, it'd be a configurable option just like the charge limit. Don't allow cabin heat to come on if the outside temperature is more than X (and the slider would go from 40F-80F or 4C-26C).

People that want to hypermile can slide that down to 40F/4C and have the heater only come on when it's really cold out. People that want comfort at all times no matter the cost can slide it to the max 80F/26C. Anybody that wants something less extreme can pick any cutoff point they like between those two extremes.

In the mean time the battery pack will continue to be heated as needed unrelated to this setting. In fact should you choose you could even use Max Battery Power Mode while having cabin heat set to the minimum.

I agree with this. I wish there was a heater off button. I noticed the car does mix heater with a/c to get to a comfortable temperature. I sometimes lower the temperature and turn off the a/c to prevent this from happening.
Here in swampy Northern Virginia, I appreciate the mix of heat and a/c together, as it improves dehumidification. On a couple of recent trips in moderate weather, I've noticed heat on the floor and air conditioning from the dash vents, which felt fantastic. Still, I think a heat-off button would give the driver some additional control over comfort and energy consumption, although that does creates the opportunity for people who aren't familiar with advanced air conditioning system operation to create uncomfortable (or potentially hazardous, if the windows fog up) cabin conditions.

Last edited:
Here in swampy Northern Virginia, I appreciate the mix of heat and a/c together, as it improves dehumidification. On a couple of recent trips in moderate weather, I've noticed heat on the floor and air conditioning from the dash vents, which felt fantastic. Still, I think a heat-off button would give the driver some additional control over comfort and energy consumption, although that does creates the opportunity for people who aren't familiar with advanced air conditioning system operation to create uncomfortable (or potentially hazardous, if the windows fog up) cabin conditions.

Most all cars run AC when in defrost to dehumidify and to run the AC compressor to keep the seals lubed and avoiding months of not operating during the winter season. Prior to that the car manuals would recommend running the AC once a week for a couple minutes during winter.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I've been wanting a "heater off" button for years — defroster on would override it, of course. Tesla just won't do it for some unknown reason. Makes no sense to me.

If not traveling at high speeds I just crack the windows instead — front on one side and rear on the other side works best — but that is a kludgy workaround for getting cold outside air in the car without the heater running.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
I just turn the entire HVAC off.

I tried that on a recent long haul trip, and the windows steam up.

The best I can do it turn the temp as far down as possible and have the AC off. When it's sunny but the air temp is say 55 degrees, just running a low fan keeps things about perfect between the natural solar heat and cool air (that's what i'd have done in my previous car) - but if the temp is set even to just 60 degrees, it will warm the outside air to that temp and use some power.

Reactions: DR61
I experienced something odd driving the Model 3 down our mountain several days ago. I couldn't get the car to cool the cabin, even with the AC on, as the car "thought" that it needed to warm the outside air.

Basically, the car started the morning in the cold, dry mountain air above 6000' elevation. The car's cabin was a little cold, but we didn't bother with HVAC - we just used the seat heaters. I drove down the mountain to drop off a family member and immediately turned around to head back up. Down in the valley (elevation 1200' or so) and on the freeways, it was sunny and relatively warm, maybe 70 F. The cabin was getting uncomfortable, so I tried turning on the AC. But only warm air came out of the vents, and this persisted! The "solution" was to crack open the windows until I regained a more pleasant elevation, at which point no cooling was needed.

Oh, by the way, the roundtrip efficiency for these down/up the mountain drives has been around 234 Wh/mile in the Model 3. Similar to driving on flat ground, thanks to regen (and slower speeds on the mountain road). Same sort of experience in our Model S.

I just turn the entire HVAC off.
That is also one option, but if I feel a bit hot inside and would like to cool, but outside air is cooler than set temp, you'll automatically get heat to cool the air inside. This doesn't make sense - use heat and high fan speed to cool inside - instead, it can use outside air with no heat and low fan speed to do the same.