Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

don't want media controls in the app [solved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my wife is driving our Y, the app on my iPhone shows me media controls for her audio. Likewise, if I am driving our 3, the Tesla app on her Android phone shows what I'm playing on the radio, and gives her media controls for it.

We don't value this function, and would like to make it disappear. The only method I found so far disabled all remote access to the car (so no turning on the A/C in advance, or even viewing the location). That is not what we want to do.

If my wife is driving our Y, the app on my iPhone shows me media controls for her audio. Likewise, if I am driving our 3, the Tesla app on her Android phone shows what I'm playing on the radio, and gives her media controls for it.

We don't value this function, and would like to make it disappear. The only method I found so far disabled all remote access to the car (so no turning on the A/C in advance, or even viewing the location). That is not what we want to do.
While my wife and I have the same things showing on our apps as far as unnecessary yea, but Unless you are watching / listening to something that may be viewed as inappropriate by the other I’m not sure what the issue is.

If I remember correctly, there is a setting you can disable for media controls in the app. Try going to the vehicle controls, Safety & Security, Data Sharing. Read through the options (I believe there were 4) and if there is one for media control, then turn it off.

If I remember correctly, there is a setting you can disable for media controls in the app. Try going to the vehicle controls, Safety & Security, Data Sharing. Read through the options (I believe there were 4) and if there is one for media control, then turn it off.
The security section lacks a data sharing portion on my release. The software page does have a data sharing control section, but it does not address this.

To all: I'm not embarrassed at my wife seeing what radio station I am listening to--we both just consider these controls a distraction, a waste of screen space, and an opportunity for a finger fault to induce an accidental change to sound in the car.

The security section lacks a data sharing portion on my release. The software page does have a data sharing control section, but it does not address this.

To all: I'm not embarrassed at my wife seeing what radio station I am listening to--we both just consider these controls a distraction, a waste of screen space, and an opportunity for a finger fault to induce an accidental change to sound in the car.
I remember now where I saw the setting for remote media controls. It should be in the settings in the car's media player.

I remember now where I saw the setting for remote media controls. It should be in the settings in the car's media player.

Op can do this:

1. swipe media card DOWN so that its not displaying (although you can do this through the media card too)
2. Tap media source to expand it on the screen.
3. Tap the settings icon that looks like 3 equalizer sliders
4. Tap "ALLOW MOBILE CONTROL" slider to turn it off.

Op can do this:

1. swipe media card DOWN so that its not displaying (although you can do this through the media card too)
2. Tap media source to expand it on the screen.
3. Tap the settings icon that looks like 3 equalizer sliders
4. Tap "ALLOW MOBILE CONTROL" slider to turn it off.
Thanks. Found this in both cars on both profiles.
The key points for me were:
1. The way in is the setting icon for media playing which looks like a sketch of sliders
2. Once in the settings, if you are looking at tone controls select instead "options" by tapping that in the list at left.
3. I had to actually drag the "allow mobile control" slider left to get it to turn off--tapping seemed not to do it.
4. This setting is per profile, and in our case propagates car to car. So I had to do it once for my wife's profile and again for my own, but did not need to do it in each car.

Just to confuse matters--there is a setting also titled "allow mobile control" elsewhere which turns off all mobile control (i.e., the app can't even let you turn on the A/C, nor report vehicle state of charge or location). That is not what I want. But it appears this one gotten to from the media player controls is just the ticket.

Thanks to all.

Reactions: jjrandorin