Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't want model Y anymore.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely out of the topic, but frequently changing a car is not good for the environment, since the carbon footprint of a new EV is quite high. Any reason why you don't want to keep your current car for over 50K miles or 5 years?
Not sure that really makes sense, its more efficient than a new ICE after 15-30K miles, but whether that's in your possession or the next owner does seem to make a difference to me. Its also likely to reach the point where its use and manufacture is lower co2 than just use of an ice at somewhere before 100K miles. At the end of the line it'll be displacing an ICE car from the road with something more efficient.

This logic will only start failing again once the cars at the end are also EVs.

Which model of A5? The new ones are quite hard to beat. I found the driver assistance pack to be better than Tesla M3 autopilot.
It was the s line black edition sportback. Looked really good and was fully loaded but I can’t recall much about the driver assistance pack other than the usual lane, cruise control and brake assist but that’s probably because that’s not my priority. I love my Tesla and wouldn’t go back to an A5. I only have the basic ‘autopilot’ on the M3P but if you prefer the Audi then fair enough

Reactions: VX Foxy and prabhu
Not sure that really makes sense, its more efficient than a new ICE after 15-30K miles, but whether that's in your possession or the next owner does seem to make a difference to me. Its also likely to reach the point where its use and manufacture is lower co2 than just use of an ice at somewhere before 100K miles. At the end of the line it'll be displacing an ICE car from the road with something more efficient.

This logic will only start failing again once the cars at the end are also EVs.
It's a topic for a wider debate, but the assumption in your argument is that carbon footprint (from a new car) can be simply transferred over to the next person. By procuring a new car every 2 or 3 years your carbon footprint would continue to stay very high and would hardly come down. To make it come down, the new car has to be driven for a minimum of x years or y miles.

• Funny
Reactions: VX Foxy
It's a topic for a wider debate, but the assumption in your argument is that carbon footprint (from a new car) can be simply transferred over to the next person. By procuring a new car every 2 or 3 years your carbon footprint would continue to stay very high and would hardly come down. To make it come down, the new car has to be driven for a minimum of x years or y miles.
I think we want the same things. It is important the car has a long an useful life to reduce the carbon footprint of its manufacture or rather to spread it over as many miles as possible and so avoid the need to manufacture another. The longer it is driven the better for the environment until something more efficient comes along which is what has happened with ICE cars with at least one report showing an electric car will pay back the carbon from scrapping a perfectly good ICE car after 40,000 miles. The same can not be said for scrapping an Electric car yet although there is some evidence that recycling of materials will be much higher for electric cars, either directly or with second life battery use (I would love one for my house).

However like GRiLLA I believe that life does not need to always be in my hands and so now we are debating did I do a good thing by buying an expensive electric car, looking after it and passing it on to someone who would not be able to afford or justify or wait for a new one (and may have bought a cheaper petrol car). I think that is currently justifiable even though I am keeping my M3LR

I am about to get my 4th M3/Y in 3 years and five months. I am pretty sure that every one has been bought by an ICE driver. These cars are not meant to be retained, the more new ones we can buy and pass on to others the better for at least the next 15 years! As these second hand cars go to dealers it is more likely they will be bought by people who are sceptical about buying without seeing or test driving...exactly the people we want to encourage into electric vehicles.

Reactions: Js1977 and sakethcr
For us, a model 3 was like a downgrade from an Audi A5, so a model Y SUV with higher seating position and more space was worth it. The new speaker system on model Y is also super cool. I have collected an USB stick full of hi-res music to experience them with the premium sound.
My last car was an S5 and in no way is my M3 LR a downgrade , how do you come to that conclusion?

That's fair enough. You just stated pretty much every reason why I wouldn't want a Y. I want the extra space, but having read numerous reports and seeing youtube reviews I think its a bit steep on the wallet for what you actually get/don't get compared to the 3.
For me it gives the one thing a 3 can’t, a hatchback for the dogs. The extra dough is irrelevant for someone that can’t live with a saloon.

Reactions: s7gpt and VX Foxy
I am about to get my 4th M3/Y in 3 years and five months. I am pretty sure that every one has been bought by an ICE driver. These cars are not meant to be retained, the more new ones we can buy and pass on to others the better for at least the next 15 years! As these second hand cars go to dealers it is more likely they will be bought by people who are sceptical about buying without seeing or test driving...exactly the people we want to encourage into electric vehicles.
I have genuinely heard it all now... of course this may be tongue in cheek but if not the idea that buying more stuff is good for the planet is just plain bonkers.

Exactly my thoughts! It is in fact true what the op said about carbon footprint when something is not used for certain amount of time. But that argument does not hold good here. If a relatively new EV is sold by someone, it will at the end of the chain only replace an ICE car (or will be bought by someone who does not have a car and instead of an ICE car. Probably after 10 years, this argument is be true w.r.t EVs

They will be bought anyway.. *who* buys them is irrelevant. And yes more EVs in the second hand market is good for the planet.
What if there are cosmetic damages, old intel processors and other mundane reasons that reduce the sale of EVs in the second hand market resulting in many cars getting dumped? How can buying new things every year be good for planet? There is some serious group think problem here.

• Funny
That's a big what if.. all lower quality stock does is reduce the price. Nobody is 'dumping' a Tesla.

Making EVs more available to those that can't pay new prices is a good thing - it pushes ICE out of the market faster, which is a huge net benefit. It'll be a while before we're into ford fiesta prices but the market has to function for that to happen at all.. if everyone just kept onto their existing cars they'd be driving diesels into the next century.

Reactions: Campi and Adopado
That's a big what if.. all lower quality stock does is reduce the price. Nobody is 'dumping' a Tesla.

Making EVs more available to those that can't pay new prices is a good thing - it pushes ICE out of the market faster, which is a huge net benefit. It'll be a while before we're into ford fiesta prices but the market has to function for that to happen at all.. if everyone just kept onto their existing cars they'd be driving diesels into the next century.
I don't think the two groups are going to agree. It feels like people are suggesting to buy iPhone 4 and 5 and replace it with iPhone 6 and 7 and so on since there might be some Nokia buyers who can replace theirs with an affordable iPhone 4 or 5. EV technology is undergoing rapid changes and a 100% cycling is simply not possible.

I don't think the two groups are going to agree but I will continue to turnover my new EVs at least every year until all diesels are off the road. Providing quality second hand EVs is the only way to alter the %age of ICE on the roads. It is just one small way that I can contribute to reducing pollution. It also happens to be the most economical way of financing my personal transport. Just as my solar and Powerwall installations greatly reduce my reliance on the Grid.
Those who believe they will keep their current EV forever probably should use a bike or a scooter which is the only 100% way to remove your motoring carbon footprint.

I don't think the two groups are going to agree but I will continue to turnover my new EVs at least every year until all diesels are off the road. Providing quality second hand EVs is the only way to alter the %age of ICE on the roads. It is just one small way that I can contribute to reducing pollution. It also happens to be the most economical way of financing my personal transport. Just as my solar and Powerwall installations greatly reduce my reliance on the Grid.
Those who believe they will keep their current EV forever probably should use a bike or a scooter which is the only 100% way to remove your motoring carbon footprint.
Pray tell how it’s more economical for you to change your new ev every year? 🤨

Have you considered the manufacturing costs of your new EV every year in your carbon footprint?

Let's face it, the only way that EVs reduce carbon footprint is over more miles than the average lifetime of a vehicle. If you change after a year, you're just having the shiny new phone - OMG!!! I need it. - Heat Pump!!! Heated Steering Wheel!!! - I don't condemn you for it, though. We all like new stuff. I do EV because I realise that sitting in traffic jams with no exhaust fumes makes city air quality better. And I like 0-60 in 3.4 (after rollout).
I charge off the grid, and my crappy M3P consumption over the last month is a real about 100g/km CO2. But I'm not giving any kids (in cities) asthma, which I like.

We all have our enthusiasms. We don't need to justify them, by cost or CO2. Teslas are expensive. they are not environmentally friendly. It is MUCH more sensible to run a 1970 Range Rover.

Teslas are quite fun though.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro