Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't want model Y anymore.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reasons unrelated to the ridiculous notion of spending an entire day travelling to collect a brand new £57k car, I've decided not to go ahead with collecting my Y. I've just got the text asking me to collect on the 19th.

I have a 2017 Model X that's doing fine and I ordered the Y thinking that it may be a very long time before I got the Model X that I ordered in Jan 2021. It seems likely that I will get the Model X at the end of 2022 so I think I'll just wait it out with the model X that I already have.

Just wondering what to do?

Cancel and lose the £100,
Pick it up and resell ( I don't need to finance it if I'm going to turn it around)?
Or can I just pass on the reservation to someone?

I doubt you have to pickup from these "special events" (Southampton Docks, Lands End, Bristol Aerodrome so far) - I think they're wanting to get numbers up for a marketing splash at these events but if you can't/won't make it to these, then we'll be offered something more sensible for our needs.
Tesla don’t (have to) do marketing or promotions to sell their car. Their 2021 marketing promotion budget is $0.

For reasons unrelated to the ridiculous notion of spending an entire day travelling to collect a brand new £57k car, I've decided not to go ahead with collecting my Y. I've just got the text asking me to collect on the 19th.

I have a 2017 Model X that's doing fine and I ordered the Y thinking that it may be a very long time before I got the Model X that I ordered in Jan 2021. It seems likely that I will get the Model X at the end of 2022 so I think I'll just wait it out with the model X that I already have.

Just wondering what to do?

Cancel and lose the £100,
Pick it up and resell ( I don't need to finance it if I'm going to turn it around)?
Or can I just pass on the reservation to someone?
Is your time worth £100 a day? I suspect so. Cancel it

New Model X by the end of 2022?

That’s the most optimistic date I’ve heard by almost a year.
That's from Tesla customer service. Even if it's early 2023, I'm going to wait it out as my current X seems to be probem free and I have the extended warranty in any case.

If it makes any difference, as some have suggested it does, the order I have in is for a Model X Plaid and I placed it within hours of orders opening in the UK.

I was just going to start this thread. Thank you for doing it. I went for a Test drive of the Y yesterday. I have a 2021 M3 (Delivered Dec 2020) which we love but had originally wanted the Y. With resale on the 3 still very high I thought we would go for a cheeky update.

I did not like the Y as much as I thought I would. If I did not have the 3 I would have loved it. I am not saying it is a bad car. I don't like either of the choice of wheels although I still have not seen the Gemini wheels in the flesh as they did not have any. It was not as handsome a car as the 3. Both these are entirely personal and others may disagree. The boot was bigger, but not by as much as I was expecting. It is not like you can get a bike in unless you remove both wheels. The driving position was higher (you notice when you get out) but it did not have the positive effect I thought it would. The driving experience was worse, less planted and fun, but not by as much as people say it is. It is still Tesla fast. The frunk was much bigger but I never use mine. No parcel shelf was odd but I actually liked the extra wine from the motor. We never got on the motorway though so no idea if there is any difference there. I liked that it had a heated wheel and liked the buttons in the boot that dropped the seats, but they were not game changers for me.

I think I have just talked myself into cancelling mine

I was just going to start this thread. Thank you for doing it. I went for a Test drive of the Y yesterday. I have a 2021 M3 (Delivered Dec 2020) which we love but had originally wanted the Y. With resale on the 3 still very high I thought we would go for a cheeky update.

I did not like the Y as much as I thought I would. If I did not have the 3 I would have loved it. I am not saying it is a bad car. I don't like either of the choice of wheels although I still have not seen the Gemini wheels in the flesh as they did not have any. It was not as handsome a car as the 3. Both these are entirely personal and others may disagree. The boot was bigger, but not by as much as I was expecting. It is not like you can get a bike in unless you remove both wheels. The driving position was higher (you notice when you get out) but it did not have the positive effect I thought it would. The driving experience was worse, less planted and fun, but not by as much as people say it is. It is still Tesla fast. The frunk was much bigger but I never use mine. No parcel shelf was odd but I actually liked the extra wine from the motor. We never got on the motorway though so no idea if there is any difference there. I liked that it had a heated wheel and liked the buttons in the boot that dropped the seats, but they were not game changers for me.

That's fair enough. You just stated pretty much every reason why I wouldn't want a Y. I want the extra space, but having read numerous reports and seeing youtube reviews I think its a bit steep on the wallet for what you actually get/don't get compared to the 3.

you could take a look to see if you can swap into a refreshed M3 for little/no cost to change? Thats what I’ve done with my March 2021 SR+ - moving to a 2022 RWD with larger battery and heated wheel/rear seats as standard and I’m actually up about £200.

For us, a model 3 was like a downgrade from an Audi A5, so a model Y SUV with higher seating position and more space was worth it. The new speaker system on model Y is also super cool. I have collected an USB stick full of hi-res music to experience them with the premium sound.

For us, a model 3 was like a downgrade from an Audi A5, so a model Y SUV with higher seating position and more space was worth it. The new speaker system on model Y is also super cool. I have collected an USB stick full of hi-res music to experience them with the premium sound.
Don’t get it, why is it a downgrade and that too from an Audi A5???? I am confused Prabhu

• Helpful
Reactions: VX Foxy
That's from Tesla customer service. Even if it's early 2023, I'm going to wait it out as my current X seems to be probem free and I have the extended warranty in any case.

If it makes any difference, as some have suggested it does, the order I have in is for a Model X Plaid and I placed it within hours of orders opening in the UK.
Completely out of the topic, but frequently changing a car is not good for the environment, since the carbon footprint of a new EV is quite high. Any reason why you don't want to keep your current car for over 50K miles or 5 years?

I had an A5 then a 3 series and now a M3P and there is no way the M3 is a downgrade, give yourself a shake