Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't Want Software Updates? Unplug your seat!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BLUF: Unplugging the connector closest to the center console under the driver's seat will cause software updates to fail.

I have been having trouble with my drivers seat not moving. I also was having problems getting software updates. Basically they would fail and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually I linked the two. Last night I figured out that one of the connectors on seat module was loose. I unplugged it, bent up a bit and cleaned it. Now the seat works again. But before I plugged it back in, I tried updating the car. It failed. I plugged it back in and tried the update again earlier today, the seat moves and the software update was successful (2019.20.4).

Basically unplug your seat when you don't need to move it and no more forced updates.

Disclaimer: I have only tested this with my late 2017 Model S with the moving headrests.

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_155814.jpg
    IMG_20190628_155814.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 157
Basically unplug your seat when you don't need to move it and no more forced updates.

Good info, but it won't help those on v8 who don't want v9 as I think most of them were forced to get v9 now.
It may work even between 8 and 9. Once my 12v battery threw an alert it was starting to go out. SC said it would probably work for another few months and no worries. But everytime an update came it failed. Tesla said that as long as an alert is active on a car SW updates will fail.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
It may work even between 8 and 9. Once my 12v battery threw an alert it was starting to go out. SC said it would probably work for another few months and no worries. But everytime an update came it failed. Tesla said that as long as an alert is active on a car SW updates will fail.

I'm 99% sure it works for that. The first time it happened was with V8. It went on for about 5 months. Eventually it just stopped asking me for updates and I had to go to the service center to have them manually force the update to V9.

What would be the LEAST offensive alert to activate to prevent updates?

I feel like this might be the best one yet. It's the power connector, so you could probably put a switch on one of the wires. Then reach under and flip it off or on based on whether an update is available or you need to move the seat.

You also need to keep in mind that folks on V8 will likely lose connectivity to the Tesla API (the VPN is going away). Like I said earlier, eventually if the updates fail for the same reason enough times in a row (I believe in V8 it was 5 times), it will just stop asking. You would be forced to either hack into your MCU or take it to the service center and have the update pushed manually.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Good info, but it won't help those on v8 who don't want v9 as I think most of them were forced to get v9 now.

Not me. Still on v8. Car sits on null wifi hotspot when parked so it won't download software and apparently they won't download software while you're actually driving as I've driven multiple 2 to 2.5 hour drives in the last two weeks.

Of course I'm trying to prevent the update from even staging. The update that was staged 3 weeks ago went away after 302 days of rejecting the update. I'm pretty sure it was invalidated so they could force the new update on me and take away my range like they did to others.

If I could be sure that unplugging the seat harness would absolutely prevent the staged update from installing, then I'd happily take my car out of internet quarantine.

Reactions: aerodyne
BLUF: Unplugging the connector closest to the center console under the driver's seat will cause software updates to fail.

I have been having trouble with my drivers seat not moving. I also was having problems getting software updates. Basically they would fail and I couldn't figure out why. Eventually I linked the two. Last night I figured out that one of the connectors on seat module was loose. I unplugged it, bent up a bit and cleaned it. Now the seat works again. But before I plugged it back in, I tried updating the car. It failed. I plugged it back in and tried the update again earlier today, the seat moves and the software update was successful (2019.20.4).

Disclaimer: I have only tested this with my late 2017 Model S with the moving headrests.

Is there a tab or anything that needs to be pressed to get the connector out? I'm having a hard time finding anything to depress to pull it out.