Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Alarm Going Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on my second Tesla, a 2021 Model X, the first a 2013 MS60.

My problem is with the door alarms. My wife has advancing Parkinson's and frequently likes to wait in the care while I grocery shop etc. But then she wants to get out and move around the parking lot for a short walk before I get back. When she does, the alarm goes off. This is the expected behavior.

The only option I have now is to leave the door cracked, or to leave her with a fob. She doesn't carry a purse, and doesn't want the fob. Cracking the door and carrying a fob remove any security which also makes her anxious.

What I am looking for is a user controlled capacity to activate/deactivate the security system from within the vehicle so she could deactivate the security from within to get out, and reactivate from within when returning from a short walk.

Any notions on how to accomplish this without a FOB?

Thanks!

I am on my second Tesla, a 2021 Model X, the first a 2013 MS60.

My problem is with the door alarms. My wife has advancing Parkinson's and frequently likes to wait in the care while I grocery shop etc. But then she wants to get out and move around the parking lot for a short walk before I get back. When she does, the alarm goes off. This is the expected behavior.

The only option I have now is to leave the door cracked, or to leave her with a fob. She doesn't carry a purse, and doesn't want the fob. Cracking the door and carrying a fob remove any security which also makes her anxious.

What I am looking for is a user controlled capacity to activate/deactivate the security system from within the vehicle so she could deactivate the security from within to get out, and reactivate from within when returning from a short walk.

Any notions on how to accomplish this without a FOB?

Thanks!
Interesting question. You can disable the Security Alarm in Settings::Safety. Also if you leave your fob in the car while shopping, your wife can still manually lock the doors by tapping the Padlock icon in the menu bar. It will unlock the doors if she opens the door and leaves the vehicle. The only issue is while she is out of the car, the car is sitting, unlocked, with the key inside. You might also want to disable the walk-away auto-lock feature. But I don't think the car will auto-lock if there is a key inside.

My main concerns are leaving the vehicle, unlocked, with the key inside. Also making sure she does not lock herself out of the car. You can always unlock the vehicle with app on your smartphone, assuming cell service is present.