Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Alignment Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i spotted my first model x in the wild, in my area and its same color etc.. the vin is 75 below mine (still waiting to get mine) and obviously I was excited. I took a bunch of pictures, but noticed something odd when I got closer to the car..

is this normal? the doors appeared to be fully closed but I would have thought these should align up a bit better.. is this one of the issue's plaguing earlier VINs? I am supposed to get mine by the end of the month, but to be honest I would rather wait longer to get it than have to go back to the SC for multiple issues.. I think the problem is that tesla is rushing out X's to keep wall street happy... but on the flip side, as a tesla fan boy I understand the reasoning... I want tesla to do well.. but what is worse? bad customer reviews or wall street delivery #'s? does delivery to the SC count as delivered to customer? I rather they keep my car until perfect than take it with issues.. but regardless i know that tesla will fix everything and make it right.. so im not worried.
IMG_6139 [77343].JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I haven't seen any misaligned in person but lots of them in pics look like they aren't aligned well. My order confirms on Easter Sunday and I figure I'll get my 90D within 60-90 days which should put my VIN close to 6000. I hope by then they are rolling them off the assembly line with even doors!

Wow, thats a huge difference. Did you get your X back yet? Was the alignment any better?

Not yet. According to the SC my X will be there for a while, they have to order the parts and install them. Then send the car to body shop to take care all the damages. I really hope they will deliver a "perfect" car when all done. They promise to check entire car in extreme detail and make sure it's 100% working order before give to me again. I am crossing my fingers!

Mine are perfectly aligned. There is maybe a 2mm projection on the lower back corner of the passenger FWD but I am not even going to attempt to have that dealt with because I am sure something else will go wrong if I did. :eek:

I went over all of my seams and gaps on the car and they are well within tolerances and aesthetically pleasing. I feel sorry for those that have to deal with this but rest assured it can be corrected. My car is proof they can get it right.

After seeing how they are made on the factory tour I am pretty sure it's just an adjustment, and not a bad part etc.

The misalignment on the door signals a weak bolt in the joint where the door connect to the chassis. If that bolt pops or breaks, that door can no longer getting power to open and close, if force close, you might be risking the disjointed bolt hitting the door metal, causing the metal to bend outward shaped like a nipple or the head of the bolt. I suggest anyone who has a misaligned door to check in with SC asap, don't open the door ultra wide and close it quickly. Take easy to close to door making sure the bolt does not pop or break. Once the bolt does any damage to the door, you might have to take in a body shop as well by your Tesla SC.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
So i spotted my first model x in the wild, in my area and its same color etc.. the vin is 75 below mine (still waiting to get mine) and obviously I was excited. I took a bunch of pictures, but noticed something odd when I got closer to the car..

is this normal? the doors appeared to be fully closed but I would have thought these should align up a bit better.. is this one of the issue's plaguing earlier VINs? I am supposed to get mine by the end of the month, but to be honest I would rather wait longer to get it than have to go back to the SC for multiple issues.. I think the problem is that tesla is rushing out X's to keep wall street happy... but on the flip side, as a tesla fan boy I understand the reasoning... I want tesla to do well.. but what is worse? bad customer reviews or wall street delivery #'s? does delivery to the SC count as delivered to customer? I rather they keep my car until perfect than take it with issues.. but regardless i know that tesla will fix everything and make it right.. so im not worried.View attachment 168734

Not at all meaning to attack here. But you can't have it both ways, your saying you wanted one of the first cars off the line, yet you want it to be bug free and built perfectly. Doesn't matter what auto manufactur you buy from, getting a model before engineering figures out all these manufacturing defects, you should be expecting issues.

RV's, boats, homes, planes, ect all have defects when new, it's part of human error.

Not at all meaning to attack here. But you can't have it both ways, your saying you wanted one of the first cars off the line, yet you want it to be bug free and built perfectly. Doesn't matter what auto manufactur you buy from, getting a model before engineering figures out all these manufacturing defects, you should be expecting issues.

I have bought a number of new models, "first cars off the line".... none of them have serious problem like this type of misalignment.

Yes, one may expect slightly more problems to develop later on, but not when you get the car on day 1.
This type of issues simply should not be allowed to come out of the factory! Their quality control should be able to catch them, and stop them/fix them before being delivered to the customers.

So I would have to disgree. It is unacceptable for a $50k car, let alone a $150k+ one, whether it is the first or last car in the production.

Not at all meaning to attack here. But you can't have it both ways, your saying you wanted one of the first cars off the line, yet you want it to be bug free and built perfectly. .

Having doors and panels that align is hardly a request for perfection. That seems to be basic table stakes even for a $20k car.
If a car comes off the line with problems like that, they should send it back to the line, not sell it.

Having doors and panels that align is hardly a request for perfection. That seems to be basic table stakes even for a $20k car.
If a car comes off the line with problems like that, they should send it back to the line, not sell it.

Except the reality for any other manufacturer is assembly defects in initial production. The difference being dealers use these cars as demo models and courtesy cars and then sell them later. No auto manufacturer unless building limited hand built cars will produce the first 100 or so flawlessly.

And Tesla is addressing the issue post production.

No auto manufacturer unless building limited hand built cars will produce the first 100 or so flawlessly.

Except we are continuing seeing similar problems to production cars. So this is not limited to the first 100 or so.

And Tesla is addressing the issue post production.

No, they are addressing the issue only if the owner complains.
They are delivering cars with this issue as if they are within specs.

This is how I got my car back from bueno park tesla dealership after I took it in to address a squeaking falcon door. I took it back and the misalignment is still noticeable. It seems when they try to fix something, then some misalignment appears somewhere else. Unless they promise take the car to a body shop, I doubt the technicians on site are skilled enough to fix the problem. I bought the car 4 months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_4722.JPG
    IMG_4722.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 249