Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door alignment slightly off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my new M3 LR. Car is amazing and for the most part, no major issues or panel gaps.

One thing I just noticed is the driver side doors are slightly offset. It's hard to notice, but now that I have, it's driving me mad. I've tried adjusting the door plate but I think the issue is on the passenger door hinge. The door seems like it needs to come out about 1/8 of an inch to be flush like the other side. The picture doesn't do justice, but the entire door seems further sunk in on the hinge side.

Does anyone know how to adjust the hinge? Is this something I should have the service center fix? I feel like it's going to be "within spec", but before I monkey with it myself, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issue.

Attached is a picture where you can see the slight offset..

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_020634597.jpg
    PXL_20210404_020634597.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 1,130
The stikers and door hinges are often a tad off on these things. Its a fine art to adjust properly and a. not cause more damage b. not cause rubbing somewhere else.

SCs/MS will be only somewhat competent to attempt to correct, but at least you can offload the responsibility for them to have to handle and deal with any consequences of a mess up.

Tesla Certified Body shops would be ideal since they deal with removing and reinstalling doors on Tesla's all the time.

I'd let that go man.

Tim
You have no idea how true your statement is ringing right now lol. Just picked up my Wife's Y from a service appointment for some touch up paint to the hinges and one bolt that wasn't screwed all the way in. Dropped it off at 10am picked up at 5pm and they hadn't got to it yet...explained the 2hr ride there and the 2hr ride home due to it being located in the commute corridor....they then at least fixed the bolt. Thinking of just touching up the few spots myself, it's cheaper time spent wise than taking it back.

You have no idea how true your statement is ringing right now lol. Just picked up my Wife's Y from a service appointment for some touch up paint to the hinges and one bolt that wasn't screwed all the way in. Dropped it off at 10am picked up at 5pm and they hadn't got to it yet...explained the 2hr ride there and the 2hr ride home due to it being located in the commute corridor....they then at least fixed the bolt. Thinking of just touching up the few spots myself, it's cheaper time spent wise than taking it

You have no idea how true your statement is ringing right now lol. Just picked up my Wife's Y from a service appointment for some touch up paint to the hinges and one bolt that wasn't screwed all the way in. Dropped it off at 10am picked up at 5pm and they hadn't got to it yet...explained the 2hr ride there and the 2hr ride home due to it being located in the commute corridor....they then at least fixed the bolt. Thinking of just touching up the few spots myself, it's cheaper time spent wise than taking it back.
Oh boy lol. I'm about an hour and 15 minutes from mine. I am hoping it doesn't turn into an all day event.

I've heard about the Tesla certified body shops.. is there a way I can search and find one? (I'll head to Google now).
I'd let that go man.

Tim
I am trying, but when you spend 50k on a car, I would at least aspect it to be properly aligned somewhat

Reactions: Maric
The top of the driver's side door on my Model 3 is not properly aligned. I have an appointment with the service center this Friday. I'm hoping they'll be able to make it better. 🙏
Same issue here. I probably just didn't notice, only had the car for a month. They wanted to charge me $80 to repair it and when I asked if/why it wasn't covered under warranty, they updated the estimate to $0 and said that they had to inspect the door first.

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Hoping they fixed yours?

Reactions: Maric
I had similar issues with my front doors on delivery (along with other minor issues). I scheduled a service appointment and they fixed the alignment issues with no problem. The alignment issues were really bothering me and I feel so much better about the car now.

If it’s really bothering you, I suggest you make an appointment and get it fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: Maric and TBrownTX
The fix was adjusting the latch plate in the door. 99% of these issues can be fixed with a T40 socket screw driver and some adjusting. Had I known, I would have skipped the trip out to the SC

Edit: What I don't understand, is why this isn't caught at the factory though
Are there different T40 bits? I ordered on Amazon and am wondering if there are 5 and six sided bits?

I have a similar situation with my 2022 M3LR. Right rear door does not match with line from rear fender. Driving me nuts because I know it’s there. Then I have to go out of town for work for another week. Have a service appointment scheduled as soon as I get back. Car is brand new with under 1000 miles. Of course I didn’t catch it on delivery day. Hopefully it’s not too involved for them and I can get it done same day.

Attachments

• AE6ABD95-4838-4B5F-A44B-25B153A9D390.jpeg
    AE6ABD95-4838-4B5F-A44B-25B153A9D390.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 586
  • 3989F6D3-CDED-4EF9-B286-02A2FE5E8158.jpeg
    3989F6D3-CDED-4EF9-B286-02A2FE5E8158.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 750