Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door ambient light LED strip not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S and it has an LED strip under the door arm rest for ambient lighting. The one on the passenger door doesn't seem to be turning on anymore. Has anyone ran into this issue and how did you go about fixing/troubleshooting it?

Do the lights never work? or just under certain circumstances? there are three ways the lamps should come on, I think -- When you open that particular door, when you open some other door, and when you manually turn on the ambient lights from the center screen. In my car, i noticed the right front passenger lamps were not coming on when I manually actuated the lights from the Ambient lights button on the screen. But when I investigated, I found they did turn on when that door was opened. So the lamps themselves were OK.

I had an upcoming service appointment so I asked the service center to investigate. They said the connectors for the puddle lamps and the ambient lams were reversed, and corrected them. My theory is that the connectors got reversed when the door was taken apart some time ago to repair the door handle.

There is another thread on here somewhere that suggested this possibility to me.

Do the lights never work? or just under certain circumstances? there are three ways the lamps should come on, I think -- When you open that particular door, when you open some other door, and when you manually turn on the ambient lights from the center screen. In my car, i noticed the right front passenger lamps were not coming on when I manually actuated the lights from the Ambient lights button on the screen. But when I investigated, I found they did turn on when that door was opened. So the lamps themselves were OK.

I had an upcoming service appointment so I asked the service center to investigate. They said the connectors for the puddle lamps and the ambient lams were reversed, and corrected them. My theory is that the connectors got reversed when the door was taken apart some time ago to repair the door handle.

There is another thread on here somewhere that suggested this possibility to me.

Something like this happened to me...my S85D came miswired from the factory so that one of the door edge lights was plugged into the ambient light connector. That one light was on at weird times (like even when that door was closed). I'm surprised it worked at all because my car doesn't even have premium lighting.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: David29

That front passenger ambient light never comes on in any circumstance. I have a mobile service scheduled this and another reason, so we will what the issue is. possibly could be reversed wiring.

• Informative
Reactions: kfly212 and David29