Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door angle - DIY fix??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if there is an easy way to fix that gap...without requiring an SC visit? 2020 (Oct) SR+ of that matters...

Attachments

• 1D196BD5-CCE4-4F6E-B889-1439F8D68389.jpeg
    1D196BD5-CCE4-4F6E-B889-1439F8D68389.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 223
Short of playing with door striker and hinge adjustments... your best bet is a Tesla certified body shop.

A good one will fit this and most of your adjustable panel gaps before you can reply here with before/after photos and do so for almost no cost.

Anyone know if there is an easy way to fix that gap...without requiring an SC visit? 2020 (Oct) SR+ of that matters...
Is the alignment problem with the leading edge of the passenger door/mirror trim, or the trailing edge of the front fender. At first glance I thought it would be the door, but on second thought it may be the fender that sticks out too far.

I think if it were as simple as adjusting the door, a handy person could DIY; but I'm not convinced it's the door. Look at the bottom corner of the door. If the top of the passenger door seems inset too much, that would imply the bottom would be the opposite, sticking out too much. Look at the bottom, is it sticking out? Look at the other two corners of the door as well. Are they normal or askew?

I'd also look carefully at the passenger fender to see if that looks at all askew.

I had this exact problem on my 2021 m3. Took it to service and they fixed it perfectly. (noticed it on the first day, so they fixed it for free)
Now, the driver's side is different because it is slightly out of alignment.

If I had known it was supposed to match up perfectly and could be fixed, I would have told them to take a look at the driver's side too.

My car has that defect too. The driver's side is almost perfect. But the passenger side caves in above the crease, where the turn-signal/camera is. It's perfectly even below that, so if you just tilt the door out at the top, it'd be out of alignment in the middle. It's a door production defect IMO, but not as bad as the OP's car. I'll leave mine alone, at least for now. I'd like to know what exactly Tesla does to fix that, before I decide what to do about that.

I had this exact problem on my 2021 m3. Took it to service and they fixed it perfectly. (noticed it on the first day, so they fixed it for free)
Now, the driver's side is different because it is slightly out of alignment.

If I had known it was supposed to match up perfectly and could be fixed, I would have told them to take a look at the driver's side too.

did they have to keep it long? just asking before I call...

This was done in a few hours. Including, the rear passenger side door handle was about 1/16 inch more recessed than all the other door handles. That was fixed too. They also checked tire pressure and other free safety checks.
After fix, after 1 month:
IMG_0129.jpg
Interestingly enough, the door is slightly out of alignment again.
This was fixed about a month ago, and was perfectly flush with perfect gap.
Now the door appears to be dented inwards again.
Much less than before for sure.

Now it kinda matches how the driver door looks, so I'm fine with it.
Before fix:
2021-01-01-before.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: valaeyron and KenC