Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door auto open to the passing car on the side. Whose fault?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can disable to auto open (on approach) of the front doors. This would help you to avoid this situation while you are walking up to the car when it is parked on a street and traffic is coming by.
A bit off topic but if I am in an area of heavy traffic, I always approach the door from the front. This way I can visualize the traffic better and the door only pops open a bit which helps quicken my ingress.

You guys misunderstood me with Audi example, I don't need/want the warning like Audi. I want the Doors NOT to jump to wide open and hit other cars If the approaching car is detected. That is just silly. Audi has the detection working, so the technology is here and no arguments need to be made: is it possible to do or not (that was the purpose of showing Audi video)

Second, I Always look before opening the door, but We're all humans, and 1% at a time, you miss something, and in this 1% I would Not have a problem with regular manual doors (I had situations like that a few times), because you will hear (whatever's approaching) or see it and, You Will Stop and quickly pull back, but with Tesla you are fully screwed. With Tesla, it's a game called: "will you catch it in time", and I don't like games.

and don't get me wrong, I loooove auto door openning and auto present feature, but Tesla needs to add this little safety feature ASAP and it will be gold, it the meantime, At least give me an ability to Disable that. That is just not safe in busy cities like NYC, where I live.

My point is that there is a technology that can prevent that and Tesla don't have it.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but if I am in an area of heavy traffic, I always approach the door from the front. This way I can visualize the traffic better and the door only pops open a bit which helps quicken my ingress.

When I approach the car in the super busy street, I actually afraid to come to my car and need to wait for the traffic to stop on the red light, because it will simply jump open driver door into the moving car.

It was very funny the other day to explain to my friends why we needed to stop all of the sudden (when I realized what might happen) and wait for the red light :))

This is my worst nightmare :)

All I can say is That would Never happen with manual doors. So I guess, it's my mistake. Let's not hold Tesla responsible for anything. There are things (above) they could have done, but did not. I have to become a statistic for them to start moving.

Seriously, ridiculous. Hold the freaking door with one hand while you pull the lever with the other while making sure there is no traffic. If you fail to do this even once in a million it's still your fault. This has nothing to do with not blaming Tesla, the car is performing AS DESIGNED. Would you blame a manual door for opening into traffic if it's pulled by gravity on a hill or wind? You probably would try to sue Mother Earth. Ive had both happen on manual cars. Already wasted too much of my time with this nonsense.

• Helpful
Reactions: spectrum and P85_DA
Seriously, ridiculous. Hold the freaking door with one hand while you pull the lever with the other while making sure there is no traffic.
So we need to open the door using both hands now :)))))) That is indeed - Seriously, ridiculous :)))

the car is performing AS DESIGNED
my point indeed, that this design is not perfect, and I even proposing a fix, not just criticizing. Just agree with me :)

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
I don't get the issue here. If OP was talking about the auto open feature that would be one thing. But in this case this is no different than any other car, except for it applies some extra force.

Treat the door in such cases like you would if there were high winds outside on a traditional car. Hold the door while opening it, I honestly don't get the issue here.

Like mentioned above, agree that it’s your fault. Rec using two handed approach if you are worried about passing cars. Either way, whether you own a Tesla or not you should be looking closely for cars and especially for bikers. Car does the same thing every time when you pull the latch, anticipate and guide the door if the environment is worrisome. Sorry that it happened and hope it gets fixed soon, but mostly tough love here.

Reactions: shrfu31 and P85_DA
Also if you don’t want to do two handed, you can also slow the door with the latch if you look and see a car coming. Guarantee you can stop the door with one hand if you really had to. Taking the point back to, look before you open the door.

I've been and owner and reader of this forum for a short time, but it's possibly a testament to Tesla that with almost every obscure feature that another car company comes up with, you can count on someone making a post in here complaining how Tesla doesn't have it. They have reached this level of expectation with a fairly persnickety owner base.

The car is constantly being updated and improved. Working in the software business, I wouldn't rule out that this isn't a feature in their roadmap. Perhaps it just hasn't taken development priority because, well, not a lot of people blindly fire open the door into traffic. That's a user error and user responsibility.

Last edited:
Second, I Always look before opening the door, but We're all humans, and 1% at a time, you miss something, and in this 1% I would Not have a problem with regular manual doors (I had situations like that a few times), because you will hear (whatever's approaching) or see it and, You Will Stop and quickly pull back, but with Tesla you are fully screwed. With Tesla, it's a game called: "will you catch it in time", and I don't like games.

Maybe it would be better if it just cracked open the door when you pulled the handle. But regardless opening a car door is not something to make a mistake with, even 1% of the time. It's like walking out into a busy road and forgetting to look both ways or pulling out of a lane without checking your mirrors fully. You might only get to do it wrong once! Personally I've always given the Tesla doors a massive amount of respect. Opening the FWDs is not something to do casually either. A lot of people get killed or seriously injured by careless car door opening and 99.9% of those would be standard manual doors, so it's not just a Tesla specific issue. Although I agree the power opening does make it even more likely to happen.

Maybe it would be better if it just cracked open the door when you pulled the handle. But regardless opening a car door is not something to make a mistake with, even 1% of the time. It's like walking out into a busy road and forgetting to look both ways or pulling out of a lane without checking your mirrors fully. You might only get to do it wrong once! Personally I've always given the Tesla doors a massive amount of respect. Opening the FWDs is not something to do casually either. A lot of people get killed or seriously injured by careless car door opening and 99.9% of those would be standard manual doors, so it's not just a Tesla specific issue. Although I agree the power opening does make it even more likely to happen.

So you just want Tesla to make the doors less useful for everyone just so you can make mistakes more often? I don't intend to sound mean, but that just sounds ridiculous!

Reactions: P85_DA
Oh, my god, you guys are just a bunch of sharks, after reading your comments I feel,

Stupid (don't know how to operate a door),
Blind (can't see cars approaching),
Weak (can't catch the door on time or hold it tide with one hand)
and now Selfish (wants to remove feature that you all love)

Nice, Thanks for the support Tesla Forum :)

• Love
  • Funny
“Now, whose fault is that? If they made the door open automatically, why isn't the car checking for passing cars on that side? Do I need to play this game "catch me if you can" every time?”

You asked for opinions... and that’s what you got. Responses aren’t meant to make you feel stupid, it’s an honest reply to the question you asked. If you don’t want so much kickback, there was a better way to word the question without as much blaming that would likely have garnered a softer response from the communuty.

Oh, my god, you guys are just a bunch of sharks, after reading your comments I feel,

Stupid (don't know how to operate a door),
Blind (can't see cars approaching),
Weak (can't catch the door on time or hold it tide with one hand)
and now Selfish (wants to remove feature that you all love)

Nice, Thanks for the support Tesla Forum :)

We love you broski. We are your comrades, and are the same team. I have no doubt we are all sorry for your loss and damage to your beautiful car. We get it, mistakes happen. We are not blaming you for what happened, because it was a mistake and it happened. That’s what insurance is for right? It could have happened to any of us.

To be frank, all we are saying is to own up to your mistake, not necessarily blame the poor car for trying to help you open the door, something is does 100% of the time :(

So you just want Tesla to make the doors less useful for everyone just so you can make mistakes more often? I don't intend to sound mean, but that just sounds ridiculous!

I said maybe. I'm personally okay with how it is now, but I can see the pitfalls too. I always grab the door handle anyway once it flicks open, so I don't think I'd notice much difference in practice. How difficult is it to swing a door open once unlatched? It's actually the auto closing that I find most useful. Auto presenting on entry is quite nice too, but exiting from inside I don't find it much of an advantage that it pushes the door fully open as it's so easy to push open anyway. Hence my suggestion that it just cracks the door open so you can then simply push it as far open as you need to.

I said maybe. I'm personally okay with how it is now, but I can see the pitfalls too. I always grab the door handle anyway once it flicks open, so I don't think I'd notice much difference in practice. How difficult is it to swing a door open once unlatched? It's actually the auto closing that I find most useful. Auto presenting on entry is quite nice too, but exiting from inside I don't find it much of an advantage that it pushes the door fully open as it's so easy to push open anyway. Hence my suggestion that it just cracks the door open so you can then simply push it as far open as you need to.

Or just disable it for those that don't want it. Wouldn't be a huge development effort to add the option in. I for one would disable it, I don't need the car to push the door open for me when I am inside. That's why I have arms and muscles.