Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door auto open to the passing car on the side. Whose fault?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know how you are pulling the front doors handle from the inside and the door jumping out to open it for you.
In any car (other than Model X), you look before you open the door, then you trigger the handle, double check in the mirrors that it's safe to open, and then open the door. In Tesla, the door jumps out as soon as you trigger the handle.

Well a couple of days ago it, the door jumped out on the car that was passing me and I could NOT catch it on time, and the other car hit my door. Now, whose fault is that? If they made the door open automatically, why isn't the car checking for passing cars on that side? Do I need to play this game "catch me if you can" every time?

That is pretty easy to do with all the sensors and cameras Tesla has.

Audi did it, meaning this feature is out there, and now I know, it's very critical one to have on Model X.
I simply afraid to open the door now.

start on 9m 29s

Well a couple of days ago it, the door jumped out on the car that was passing me and I could NOT catch it on time, and the other car hit my door. Now, whose fault is that? If they made the door open automatically, why isn't the car checking for passing cars on that side? Do I need to play this game "catch me if you can" every time?

Unfortunately, I have to say you're at fault. The door operates the same way every time. You're the vehicle operator and you're aware that the door opens when you pull the handle. The solution here is to not pull the handle unless the path is clear. If the path isn't clear and you still want to pull the handle, you need to be prepared to catch the door so that it doesn't strike the object in its path.

Yes, it would be great if Tesla added a warning if a vehicle was approaching from the side. IMO, not having the warning cannot be construed as negligence on their part.

You can disable to auto open (on approach) of the front doors. This would help you to avoid this situation while you are walking up to the car when it is parked on a street and traffic is coming by.

As to when you are parked, you can always hold on to the solid door handle while you open the door with your other hand (this makes you automatically look back). This is a good idea in any car, not just the X, when parked on slopes or in windy situations.

The human is ultimately responsible for not opening the door if it is not clear. There will always be situations that the automation will miss (bicyclist, plants, small children, etc.)

Maybe we need to adopt the Dutch method of only opening the door with the hand furthest away from the door. This gets you in the habit of looking back over your shoulder and ensure there is no upcoming obstacle.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and spectrum
For all the posts that say that it's the human at fault - yes, that is absolutely true. But humans make errors - that is our nature. The door handle can slip out of our grasp as one of many scenarios. This could lead to human injury.

It would be good if Tesla offered a way to disable this feature for those that do not want the automation. Continuous improvement and learning is another area that Tesla I hope takes into consideration for future development work. Much like airline crashes - disasters strike (usually caused by human error) but then lessons are learned and actions are put in place to try to ensure the same accident can't happen again. Some of those changes might include changes to software / automation / flight systems.

If there is a car (or other object) next to you, the door won't open wide. It's actually quite conservative, not opening wide almost to the point of being annoying at times.

I think a car (or other object) not next to you the moment you initiate door opening but close enough behind and moving fast enough that it will collide with your door is an edge case, not entirely different than any other car and therefore something that is more the responsibility of the driver. It's very similar to a regular car situation where you might have a very heavy door and when you open the door with a little too much force it might slip past the first detent resulting in a collision.

That said, Tesla could adopt a software solution to make the door behave like the Model 3 door where pressing the button just pops the door open and you have to manually widen the opening yourself.

Reactions: P85_DA
If there is a car (or other object) next to you, the door won't open wide. It's actually quite conservative, not opening wide almost to the point of being annoying at times.

This is not entirely true. For example my door scratched the mirror of another car. The car was far enough to allow the door to open but not the mirror. Imagine similar situations.

Tesla could adopt a software solution to make the door behave like the Model 3 door where pressing the button just pops the door open and you have to manually widen the opening yourself.

Although I can see how that would have helped OP, it would reduce the convenience of having the doors actually open all the way 99.99% of the time they work perfectly, letting me reach over to the back seat and grab my backpack and exit the car with minimal effort.

I stand my argument that this is mostly OP’s fault (for opening door into traffic). The only reason it wouldn’t be his fault is if OP didn’t know that the doors did this. Knowing that the doors do this, I would absolutely look twice before opening the doors into traffic. In fact, if I parked on the street often, I’d disable self presenting as well.

We can automate these machines as much as we want, but they will grow increasingly complex and still never be perfect.