Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door auto-unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Leodoc

Owner/operator of "Leo hates me" club
Jan 25, 2016
South Florida
Hello all,

got a question about a feature that seems to have been removed?

recently (2 weeks ago) traded in my 2 year old Model X (AP 1) for a brand new Model X. Love the fit and finish...new buttons...improvements. It's an upgrade on an already fabulous vehicle.

There's one thing driving me nuts that NO ONE at service center could answer and I can't find....

With previous model X...If i walked up to the vehicle, the driver's door opened and all other doors unlocked. So other passengers could open their doors and climb right in. My Model 3 also does this same thing. I can walk up to any door and open it as long as I have my key (phone for the model 3)....

anyway...this is NOT the case with this new Model X. The driver's door still opens upon my approach, but nothing else. I have to manually go into the car to open the other doors via screen or use the key fob two manually open the FWD or the passenger's door. This is even true if I just walk up to the passenger side of the car and try to open the door (key fob in hand)...it will not be unlocked.

What is going on here? I can't find any settings in the menus that will change this...and the tesla guys seemed to be clueless. They said it was a "security concern." I don't buy that. My model 3 does it. My previous merc did it. A LOT OF CARS DO IT. If they removed it from the model x, doens't it stand to reason they'd do the same with the model 3? Also...if it's a security risk, at least let me decide whether or not i want the feature activated....i'll take the risk so that I don' t have to get into the car just to unlock the other doors...it's frankly quite an inconvenience.

thanks for any insight into this....happy new year, everyone.

Hello all,

got a question about a feature that seems to have been removed?

recently (2 weeks ago) traded in my 2 year old Model X (AP 1) for a brand new Model X. Love the fit and finish...new buttons With previous model X...If i walked up to the vehicle, the driver's door opened and all other doors unlocked. So other passengers could open their doors and climb right in. My Model 3 also does this same thing. I can walk up to any door and open it as long as I have my key (phone for the model 3)....

anyway...this is NOT the case with this new Model X.

Settings->Vehicle->Driver Door Unlock Mode. Turn it off.
It says unlock on park, but it also applies to auto door open. Bad fine print description.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
thank you, but i tried that and negative. still didn't fix the issue.

It works on my X, I am running 48.12, MCU2. The reason I know, is a software update apparently caused that setting to change, I would get it the car and my wife, who was used to punching the handle and climbing in the passenger seat, could no longer do that, unless I opened the passenger door. It took me a while to figure out what had changed. I hesitate to suggest it, but maybe a reboot or two around the setting change will fix it. Otherwise I have no further idea. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leodoc
I’ve had the same issue since delivery in late March. Finally took it in to the local service center and was told that they have new door hardware that should resolve the issue. Was ordered a few months ago but nothing has come in yet. Not a pressing issue for me so haven’t pushed.