Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door/Bumper Guards Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NYC parking?

pg050.jpg

Honestly, a lot of the quality ones are magnetic, which isn't going to work for the Tesla. Options include wrapping your car with a protection film; this may provide you with some minimal protection. Otherwise, jury rig something with a noodle and string that you drape over your door and secure with your windows. I made a couple for myself. I don't have any pictures, but this is the website that gave me the idea. Sorry; it's a cheesy looking site. Theft is an issue as well.

Brainstorming, here:

If your doors are wrapped you could try to develop something with suction cups. It'll leave rings, and would damage bare paint, but *might* be ok with a wrap?

There's a chance you could get strong magnets up against the aluminum skin by removing the door liner to install them, which would be enough to use all these magnetic options. It depends on the structural bracing, though, and I've never seen a pic of the inside of the door to tell you if it looked like it was possible or not.

Like the link posted above, a noodle on strings, despite looking somewhat ridiculous, would work easily. The Model S door lowers, then slightly raises, the windows as you close the doors. That would be ideal for draping the strings over and allowing the automatic action of the windows secure them against the frame. Cheap, too.

Magnetic. Not going to work.

I believe doors on tesla are aluminum...could be wrong. If aluminum, it will work.

- - - Updated - - -

My concern would be that the dirt and grit that gets behind the guards would be worse than the dings.

You simply clean the back of magnets each time, and as long as they are not moved around, they will not harm the finish.

I'm not sure what is worse, a ding, or a little scuff that can be hand polished off every few months.

My concern would be that the dirt and grit that gets behind the guards would be worse than the dings.

They recommend wiping them off each time before putting them on. I will most likely only use them when there is no way to park away from people.

Also, I have not decided if I'm going to put xpel on the doors yet, but that would probably eliminate and minor scratches from the bumpers rubbing on the paint.

Also, I have not decided if I'm going to put xpel on the doors yet, but that would probably eliminate and minor scratches from the bumpers rubbing on the paint.

This is why I wrapped front doors and both bumpers with XPEL. I have already noticed a benefit where the door touches another car because they parked so close it doesn't scratch either them or me while I get in the car.

I ordered a set of these in white (they are magnetic, but also have a strap): DoorShield
I can't say how well they work, since my Model S is not here yet, but they claim to work fine with just the straps on aluminum and fiberglass cars.

I have a pair of those for my other car. Will try them when I get my S85 in December. Hoping that someone can find a good solution for the Tesla aluminum doors.

They recommend wiping them off each time before putting them on. I will most likely only use them when there is no way to park away from people.

Wrapping doors with PPF will definitely help in getting scratches, scuffs, etc.

My only concern with using a door guard is that it kind of makes your car stand out to vandals. There are people in this world that go out of their way to mess with those cars… I think I'd be afraid having something hanging on my door would be like putting a "Kick Me" sign on my car. :(