Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door button press vs hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should the driver’s door open enough with a quick push of the door open button so that it doesn’t get caught in the latch OR should you have to hold it and push out on door?

Picked up my Y in early September and a quick press of the door button would push the door out far enough so it would clear the latch. Door was misaligned during delivery so SC realigns it. Get car back and now a push of the button doesn’t open the door enough to clear the latch.

We also picked up a model 3 this month, and a quick press of the door button opens it enough so that it clears the latch. 7 doors for press and 1 for hold.

What’s it supposed to be and does your Y require a quick press of the door button or require a hold?

If the door seal or a hinge gets sticky, the door won’t always open far enough to pass the latch with a quick press of the button. In those cases, you’d need to hold the button while you give the door a little push.

In your case, it sounds like the service center didn’t get it adjusted quite right and it’s dragging on something. Check for rub marks on the paint in the door jam.

Reactions: Chemios
Should the driver’s door open enough with a quick push of the door open button so that it doesn’t get caught in the latch OR should you have to hold it and push out on door?

Picked up my Y in early September and a quick press of the door button would push the door out far enough so it would clear the latch. Door was misaligned during delivery so SC realigns it. Get car back and now a push of the button doesn’t open the door enough to clear the latch.

We also picked up a model 3 this month, and a quick press of the door button opens it enough so that it clears the latch. 7 doors for press and 1 for hold.

What’s it supposed to be and does your Y require a quick press of the door button or require a hold?
Would definitely contact the SC. I had the same issue with my back door and the SC fixed it on my Model Y with no charge (under warranty).