Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door cannot be closed as window is stuck open

Dreamzz2004

Jun 1, 2020
Central NJ
This has happened to me the 3rd time in the last 7 months of ownership.

Opened the driver side rear door (window went down a little as expected) to keep something in the back seat and could not close the door anymore as the window went to the position where it would be if the door was closed.
Tried to use the buttons to get the window down or up and nothing would happen.
Then opened the driver door to use the window controls there and the same issue happened to the driver side door.
So now both driver side doors are stuck open with the windows in the position where they would be normally if the doors were closed.
Both passenger side windows were working perfectly.

Called the local service center and they asked me call road side assistance and in the meantime trying to lookup and try all reset options available that came up on google search but nothing worked,

Roadside assistance asked to vent the windows from the app and still it only worked on the passenger side. While he was looking for more options I was holding down the window down button for 30 seconds and then up button for 30 seconds and finally the driver side window went down so that I could close the door. Tried the driver side rear door and that also worked properly. This was about 30 mins after the rear door was stuck open

I setup a mobile service for them to look into this, but has anyone had this issue and know of a proper way to fix this as this is my wife's car and I hate to be stuck in a situation where we either have a commitment or an emergency.

Additionally it is critical for us right now as we are down to one car while waiting for my new Model X to be delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: srlawren

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
It sounds like you may have fixed the problem by calibrating the window actuator. What you did, press down and hold, then pull up and hold is how it is calibrated.

Dreamzz2004

Jun 1, 2020
Central NJ
Probably, but I don't remember the exact steps right now..

What I am worried about is that since this has happened for the 3 time, if this due to an issue with the mechanism or something that I am doing (like opening and closing the doors too fast) that triggers this issue.

tuoncan

Sep 10, 2017
California
Prior to the calibration, it thinks the opening position is higher, therefore it's happening multiple times. I think you should be good now since it has the new default opening position.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I have experienced random events where one window will lower. This happened recently when I opened the driver's door. I am fairly certain I did not touch the window switch with my arm. Today I felt a shock from static electricity for the first time when I exited my Model Y and touched the door. While the window did not lower this time it makes me wonder if some of the window related issues could be caused by static discharge.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
I have experienced random events where one window will lower. This happened recently when I opened the driver's door. I am fairly certain I did not touch the window switch with my arm. Today I felt a shock from static electricity for the first time when I exited my Model Y and touched the door. While the window did not lower this time it makes me wonder if some of the window related issues could be caused by static discharge.
same. Every so often the passenger rear is down an inch or two. Randomly. For no reason.

db93

Mar 31, 2020
So Cal
I know for a fact the I accidently open the right passenger window from time to time
All thumbs it seems

Big Dog

Mar 7, 2016
Irvine, CA
happened to me once on m3, and I just hit the system reboot (press both wheel buttons down), and when it reawakened, it put the window position back to where it belonged.

• Informative
Reactions: srlawren

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC