Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door cannot be closed as window is stuck open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened to me the 3rd time in the last 7 months of ownership.

Opened the driver side rear door (window went down a little as expected) to keep something in the back seat and could not close the door anymore as the window went to the position where it would be if the door was closed.
Tried to use the buttons to get the window down or up and nothing would happen.
Then opened the driver door to use the window controls there and the same issue happened to the driver side door.
So now both driver side doors are stuck open with the windows in the position where they would be normally if the doors were closed.
Both passenger side windows were working perfectly.

Called the local service center and they asked me call road side assistance and in the meantime trying to lookup and try all reset options available that came up on google search but nothing worked,

Roadside assistance asked to vent the windows from the app and still it only worked on the passenger side. While he was looking for more options I was holding down the window down button for 30 seconds and then up button for 30 seconds and finally the driver side window went down so that I could close the door. Tried the driver side rear door and that also worked properly. This was about 30 mins after the rear door was stuck open

I setup a mobile service for them to look into this, but has anyone had this issue and know of a proper way to fix this as this is my wife's car and I hate to be stuck in a situation where we either have a commitment or an emergency.

Additionally it is critical for us right now as we are down to one car while waiting for my new Model X to be delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Probably, but I don't remember the exact steps right now..

What I am worried about is that since this has happened for the 3 time, if this due to an issue with the mechanism or something that I am doing (like opening and closing the doors too fast) that triggers this issue.

I have experienced random events where one window will lower. This happened recently when I opened the driver's door. I am fairly certain I did not touch the window switch with my arm. Today I felt a shock from static electricity for the first time when I exited my Model Y and touched the door. While the window did not lower this time it makes me wonder if some of the window related issues could be caused by static discharge.

I have experienced random events where one window will lower. This happened recently when I opened the driver's door. I am fairly certain I did not touch the window switch with my arm. Today I felt a shock from static electricity for the first time when I exited my Model Y and touched the door. While the window did not lower this time it makes me wonder if some of the window related issues could be caused by static discharge.
same. Every so often the passenger rear is down an inch or two. Randomly. For no reason.

Reactions: brkaus
It sounds like you may have fixed the problem by calibrating the window actuator. What you did, press down and hold, then pull up and hold is how it is calibrated.
I had this issue once and was googling it while sitting inside the car. When arrived at home I noticed the passenger door handle was not completely flush (it does that alot), pushed it in, and the problem went away.
Having the same problem. Was it the outside handle or inside? I tried calibrating that didn't do anytjing

Outside handle..
They are known to get stucked a bit in the open position sometimes, due to dirt getting in. Spray some WD-40 or something on the pivot point while holding it in the open position and that problem should be solved.

Having the same problem. Was it the outside handle or inside? I tried calibrating that didn't do anytjing

There isn't an inside handle in Model 3, so yes, it was the outside handle. Also closing the door slowly from outside resulted in the window closing. Had this issue repeatedly in cold weather even when handle is flush, probably needs service of some sensor.

I had this issue on our Model 3 after I changed the puddle lights in the passenger door. The connector for the light wasn't all the way clicked in. Crazily, this causes the window to go up and down that tiny bit. Once it was properly connected, the window went down the fraction of an inch that it normally did while open. I know others have reported that faulty puddle lights have affected their windows. You might look to see if the puddle light is working on the offending door -- it might be the issue.

I had the same issue. Tonight it’s 24 degrees and I think the door and window were a little frozen when I opened the passenger door. The window went down when I opened the door the went back up so the window was rubbing the frame. I carefully closed the door partially and the window went back down so I cloud close my door.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger