Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door close rattle

nickID

Dec 16, 2018
US
Is it normal for the m3 doors to have a pretty noticeable rattle upon close? (They don’t have a persistent rattle *after* they’ve been closed, it’s just a single rattling noise the moment they’re closed). I’m thinking it’s due to the frameless windows, but I’m not positive. It might be normal for cars with frameless windows. It’s really not a huge annoyance, more just something I’ve wondered since I got the car.

Solidred

Feb 18, 2018
So Cal
Is it normal for the m3 doors to have a pretty noticeable rattle upon close? (They don’t have a persistent rattle *after* they’ve been closed, it’s just a single rattling noise the moment they’re closed). I’m thinking it’s due to the frameless windows, but I’m not positive. It might be normal for cars with frameless windows. It’s really not a huge annoyance, more just something I’ve wondered since I got the car.

I’m noticing it too, but only from my rear passenger side

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
I've only noticed a rattle if I close the door with the window down. The window rattles around a bit inside of the door. If the window is all the way up I don't notice any rattle when closing the door.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
I've only noticed a rattle if I close the door with the window down. The window rattles around a bit inside of the door. If the window is all the way up I don't notice any rattle when closing the door.

Agreed. Closing the door with the window down is... embarrassing. Window up is no issue at all.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
Ditto - windows down both front doors only. Very light rattle that seems to be coming from the tweeter area.

nickID

Dec 16, 2018
US
Thanks for all the feedback! I thought it happened with windows all the way up too, but I might be mistaken. I’ll check and report back.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Thanks for all the feedback! I thought it happened with windows all the way up too, but I might be mistaken. I’ll check and report back.

Well, it it doesn't happen with the window up and only with the windows down, then you're just like the rest of us!

nickID

Dec 16, 2018
US
Yep, it only happens with the windows down. That’s good to know. And also good to know it’s normal. Thanks again all. (I don’t have a showroom nearby to go test this stuff out on other model 3s)

jaykaye

Jul 18, 2019
Australia
I have this too. More noticeable on the passenger door (RHD car).
I pulled apart the door to see if I could find and fix the issue. Put in some felt tape around the parts that I thought would be problematic, but this didnt help. I also removed the window itself and it stopped happening. There are two cast aluminium metal clamps hold the window in place, I suspect it is coming from the one closer to the door hinge (you can see the top part of it in the attached pic where the speaker hole is).

Im posting this to in the hopes that someone else may find this useful and if they fixed it to tell us how.

upload_2020-6-22_12-18-45.png

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC