Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door closes upon pressing the brake even if no premium upgrade package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Just ordered my first Tesla - Model X, 100d. I ordered autopilot but not the premium upgrade package. I have been reading a ton of threads - and I see contradictory info - will the driver’s door automatically close upon pressing the brake without the premium upgrades package?
Thanks!

No, that’s one of the thing your paying for with the PUP. All the hardware is in your car but not the software to make it happen.

Are you sure? I have the PUP on my MX, but I was pretty sure that I read here that you could close the doors (with brake, touch screen) with non-PUP. The only thing you can't do are "auto present" and open doors with keyfob. The keyfob was software disabled, but I believe the auto present requires an extra sensor to detect the driver so it may not be all software.

All model x can close driver door automatically when you press on the brake, even without premium upgrade package. In addition, you can use the touch screen control to open/close all doors. You can also use the FOB to close all doors. Again, all without PUP.

you don't need PUP.

My wife would disagree! :p We didn't order PUP by desire but it was on one of the inventory MX so we took it last year because at the time we thought the Fed Tax Credit would end by 2017. But after having it, my wife loves the auto presenting door. I don't think she has touched the driver side door handle in the last 3 or 4 months. After I drove the MX on the weekends, sometime I would stand in front of my car's door on Monday morning and then realized that it is not going to open for me.... :(

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
@Amanda I have a non PUP MX100D. The only thing PUP adds to the front doors is the self presenting feature.

All other motorized functions,
- Closing on pressing brake pedal
- Open/close from touch screen
- Close all open doors with three taps on the key fob
- Automatic obstacle detection while opening from the outside

These are available as a standard feature across all Model X-es. Welcome to the Tesla family.

• Informative
Reactions: ChadS
Another function that's included in PUP is double clicking the FOB to open the front drivers side door, and then double clicking again to open the front passenger side door. So without PUP, you can use the FOB to:

- Open/close rear doors.
- Open/close trunk.
- Open frunk.
- Close all open doors except frunk.

Another function that's included in PUP is double clicking the FOB to open the front drivers side door, and then double clicking again to open the front passenger side door. So without PUP, you can use the FOB to:

- Open/close rear doors.
- Open/close trunk.
- Open frunk.
- Close all open doors except frunk.
I might also point out that for PUP, if you want to enable double clicking the fob to open driver door and passenger door, you must enable “automatic doors” that includes self-present driver door. The functions are bundled together so you can’t disable self present and leave double click opening on. I’ve asked Tesla to unbundle them ever since they introduced double click opening front doors but they never did. It would have been so much more useful.

No, that’s one of the thing your paying for with the PUP. All the hardware is in your car but not the software to make it happen.

I have a non PUP Model X.

The front driver and passenger doors close when I hit the brakes. There can only be two explanations.

1.) I am using the force unknowingly and subconsciously to will the doors close.
2.) It's a standard feature for all Model X's.

Occams razor would say #1 makes the most sense..

• Funny
Reactions: Icey
I have a non PUP Model X.

The front driver and passenger doors close when I hit the brakes. There can only be two explanations.

1.) I am using the force unknowingly and subconsciously to will the doors close.
2.) It's a standard feature for all Model X's.

Occams razor would say #1 makes the most sense..

I have a non PUP Model X and only my driver's door closes on brake pedal depression. I read that the passenger door closing was removed in a software update, since people kept clobbering their passengers accidentally out of habit. I'm on 2018.18.2 301aeee.

I have a non PUP Model X and only my driver's door closes on brake pedal depression. I read that the passenger door closing was removed in a software update, since people kept clobbering their passengers accidentally out of habit. I'm on 2018.18.2 301aeee.

Interesting... though a change of that nature would affect PUP and non PUP alike I imagine. Do you have a source to any articles or threads discussing this?

If such a feature was implemented, you would think it would be a configurable option.

However, good driving practice would dictate your foot does not touch the brake until all passengers are inside the car and situated.

Touching the brake is a prelude to reversing. Reversing when not fully situated results in things like

-Passengers getting hurt
-People getting backed up over.
-Falcon Wing Doors smacking garages.
-etc

Hello,
Just ordered my first Tesla - Model X, 100d. I ordered autopilot but not the premium upgrade package. I have been reading a ton of threads - and I see contradictory info - will the driver’s door automatically close upon pressing the brake without the premium upgrades package?
Thanks!
Yes one of the best feature on the car. No pup and door still close via the brake or ipad