Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door closes upon pressing the brake even if no premium upgrade package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, good driving practice would dictate your foot does not touch the brake until all passengers are inside the car and situated.

Touching the brake is a prelude to reversing. Reversing when not fully situated results in things like

That may be true 20 years ago, but all the new cars with push button start requires you to press the brake pedal before pushing the button to start the car. And most people will probably start the car before everyone gets in (Start the AC, let it warm up, set the GPS, change the radio, etc...). If pressing the brake pedal closes the passenger door too, I am pretty sure my wife or kid would have gotten smacked by the door a few times. Even now sometime I close the FD too soon and smack my kid in the head.

Reactions: MXWing
That may be true 20 years ago, but all the new cars with push button start requires you to press the brake pedal before pushing the button to start the car. And most people will probably start the car before everyone gets in (Start the AC, let it warm up, set the GPS, change the radio, etc...). If pressing the brake pedal closes the passenger door too, I am pretty sure my wife or kid would have gotten smacked by the door a few times. Even now sometime I close the FD too soon and smack my kid in the head.

That is true. Now that I recall, in the Volt I have to do that.

In the case of that vehicle, the parking brake is the last to get released before the vehicle moves.

Looks like a Model S to me. Double tap side buttons opens the FWDs not front doors.

No it is a Model X. In the beginning of the video you can see the FD handle right next to the front door handle. If it is a MS you won't see the back door handle.

Probably an earlier software version? I can open the passenger door with the fob with PUP but only after the driver side door already opened. And I can only do that if auto door is set to ON. So if the driver side door is already open for me, I may as well go inside and sit and press the screen to open the passenger side door.. no need to fish for the keyfob. So that feature is kind of pointless.

No it is a Model X. In the beginning of the video you can see the FD handle right next to the front door handle. If it is a MS you won't see the back door handle.

Probably an earlier software version? I can open the passenger door with the fob with PUP but only after the driver side door already opened. And I can only do that if auto door is set to ON. So if the driver side door is already open for me, I may as well go inside and sit and press the screen to open the passenger side door.. no need to fish for the keyfob. So that feature is kind of pointless.
When they first introduced fob double click to open the front doors, it was indeed available to all cars with or without PUP. A later version locked that feature to PUP/self present “Automatic doors” bundle.

• Informative
Reactions: WattsSon

I can see it now...definitely model x. The video was published on Dec 29 2017. So, not an early version. I have PUP. Front doors were always opened with a double tap on top for drivers followed by a second double tap for passengers. For kicks, I just tried tap hold. It doesn't work on PUP either.