TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Door damage / replacement experiences, cost etc

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JimmyMcNulty, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

https://i.imgur.com/Zf8Xbj8.jpg

It was an unfortunate incident and yes, it was my fault – quite bummed so I'll leave it at that.

Don't know yet whether I should go through insurance or not. My premium is already on the high side, and I already have a previous claim (small rear window got smashed by someone in February).

Any experiences with this sort of damage (cost etc) would be appreciated.

2. kdday

kdday Member

That should buff out

• Funny x 4
  3. kdday

kdday Member

I'd recommend you go to a local Tesla authorized shop and get a quote then you'll have a better idea of what direction to choose.

4. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Ouch! No idea of cost of repair-sorry!

5. rocketshipp85

rocketshipp85 Member

Get a quote from tesla certified, also what if you but the door panel from a 3rd party because tesla I think only sells the whole door which is expensive, I know a guy that can sell you the door panel and is in CA and only wanted a like $150 I believe. What color is your car silver or white I might have a door panel for the drivers front for sale that is white.

6. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Wow this was pretty painful to see. I'm kinda curious how much it would be.

7. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

I had my driver's side rear door replaced recently and it cost $4600. If you use a non-certified shop you might be able to get the cost down closer to $2,000.

8. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

That's painful to look at. Having heard about some insurance company raising rates recently (and wondering if others will follow), I would be hesitant to file a claim but wonder how bad the repair would be. How old is your car? Curious about the warranty left on it. Be careful going to a non-Tesla certified shop for repair (to use a salvaged part to save on $s) and then find that Tesla will invalidate the warranty on the car even if a warranty situation arises on another part of the car.

9. alloverx

alloverx Member

How would Tesla know its a salvage part? As long as was installed correctly and paint was good it might be fine. I assume it would be reported so the next buyer would know via carfax. If you are going to keep the car forever then not a problem. Does the door still work as-is?

10. jplasmd

jplasmd Member

I dented both passenger doors last summer. At that time, I bought new primed door shells from Tesla for about $725 each. I could have picked up a couple of used, mildly damaged doors off of ebay, but I really didn't want any Bondo on my MS.

11. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

$6Kish to replace and repaint that door if you want to do it right. i had a door replaced on my old S, rear passenger door. some hit it while i was in a parking lot and took off or "forgot" to leave a note.

any way, that looks beyond replacing just the skin on of the door, not that i would recommend that but depending on your insurance if you go that route they may push for it.

12. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Sorry about your door and hope it works out OK. Kinda curious as to how it happened though... Opened the door, left it open and reversed?

13. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

What insurance company do you have?

14. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

The comment above regarding Tesla cancelling the warranty is disconcerting. I certainly could understand if it was a drive line or safety component, or electronic .... but a repair and paint to the coachwork seems a bit heavy handed to me. (Tell me it ain't true)

The more I learn about Tesla's business policies ... the less sure I become that I want to pursue a purchase.
    The Tesla may be a tremendously wonderful car .... but mishaps do occur (debris on the road; rocks falling from trucks and etc) .... if a minor dent or scraps is going to have major financial consequences .... I need to consider alternatives.
    Fortunately, I have about 19 months to learn more and read about other owners experiences. before I must make a decision.

15. Max*

Max* Charging

Door ding

$3,750 give or take to replace the door shell and repaint, assuming no B-pillar damage.

16. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

In the US, Tesla cannot just cancel your warranty for you replacing a damaged body panel. They can deny a warranty claim for something related to the specific part that was replaced but a wholesale cancellation of the warranty is not legal.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1