Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door damage / replacement experiences, cost etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get a quote from tesla certified, also what if you but the door panel from a 3rd party because tesla I think only sells the whole door which is expensive, I know a guy that can sell you the door panel and is in CA and only wanted a like $150 I believe. What color is your car silver or white I might have a door panel for the drivers front for sale that is white.

That's painful to look at. Having heard about some insurance company raising rates recently (and wondering if others will follow), I would be hesitant to file a claim but wonder how bad the repair would be. How old is your car? Curious about the warranty left on it. Be careful going to a non-Tesla certified shop for repair (to use a salvaged part to save on $s) and then find that Tesla will invalidate the warranty on the car even if a warranty situation arises on another part of the car.

How would Tesla know its a salvage part? As long as was installed correctly and paint was good it might be fine. I assume it would be reported so the next buyer would know via carfax. If you are going to keep the car forever then not a problem. Does the door still work as-is?

$6Kish to replace and repaint that door if you want to do it right. i had a door replaced on my old S, rear passenger door. some hit it while i was in a parking lot and took off or "forgot" to leave a note.

any way, that looks beyond replacing just the skin on of the door, not that i would recommend that but depending on your insurance if you go that route they may push for it.

The comment above regarding Tesla cancelling the warranty is disconcerting. I certainly could understand if it was a drive line or safety component, or electronic .... but a repair and paint to the coachwork seems a bit heavy handed to me. (Tell me it ain't true)

The more I learn about Tesla's business policies ... the less sure I become that I want to pursue a purchase.
The Tesla may be a tremendously wonderful car .... but mishaps do occur (debris on the road; rocks falling from trucks and etc) .... if a minor dent or scraps is going to have major financial consequences .... I need to consider alternatives.
Fortunately, I have about 19 months to learn more and read about other owners experiences. before I must make a decision.

The comment above regarding Tesla cancelling the warranty is disconcerting. I certainly could understand if it was a drive line or safety component, or electronic .... but a repair and paint to the coachwork seems a bit heavy handed to me. (Tell me it ain't true)

The more I learn about Tesla's business policies ... the less sure I become that I want to pursue a purchase.
The Tesla may be a tremendously wonderful car .... but mishaps do occur (debris on the road; rocks falling from trucks and etc) .... if a minor dent or scraps is going to have major financial consequences .... I need to consider alternatives.
Fortunately, I have about 19 months to learn more and read about other owners experiences. before I must make a decision.
In the US, Tesla cannot just cancel your warranty for you replacing a damaged body panel. They can deny a warranty claim for something related to the specific part that was replaced but a wholesale cancellation of the warranty is not legal.

I just got an $8500 quote for replacing the rear passenger door on a model Y. 3rd party Tesla -certified shop. But that is after 6 weeks *to get an estimate* and they can't even do the work for 2 months. And the Tesla 1st party shop won't answer the phone at all.

I have two Teslas and was a huge advocate. I am now warning everyone I know away from them.