Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Ding: Caught on Sentry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
First post here, although I've been a lurker for about a year (since purchasing my Model 3). Last week, I was parked at my community library and came out to find a ding in the front passenger-side door. I reviewed the video and found the culprit: a neighbor whom my wife recognized. She actually had the audacity to ding my door upon arrival to the library, get back in her car, circle the parking lot and then park a few spaces away. Sorry about your luck, sis! Anyway, I reached out to her and gave her some estimates: first for a paintless dent removal ($200) and the second for real body work / repaint ($600). She has connected me with her insurance company. Anyone know why someone would want to work through insurance for such a small amount of money? Any other advice you might give me in this situation?

Thank you!
Ryan

If they want to go through insurance then go through insurance. However, it might show on the carfax. If you intend to keep the car then it doesn't matter what shows on the carfax.

When the insurance company sends someone out to inspect the car, they will give you an estimate. You can take the cash value of the estimate and get the repair done where ever you want and pocket the difference.

If you want the full repair then choose the shop and the insurance will pay the full amount regardless of how much it is.

Reactions: hydro 481
PDR, but the doors are aluminum so it will be harder for them to remove. If your paint is not scratched it does not need a traditional body shop. Absolutely no reason to have it repaired like that if theres no paint damage.

Part of what insurance is for is to handle these things so you don't have to. I had a guy whose son scraped up a fender and the bumper on my LEAF in a parking lot. He wanted to pay directly, but balked when asked to sign that he was financially responsible at the body shop. Also, if the ins company doesn't end up paying much out, it won't have a big impact on her rates...and maybe none if she has accident forgiveness.

There's no way her insurance deductible is less than 200 bucks. Shes just being stupid. I would get it done with the dent less and ask her to pay. If she doesnt shame her around the neighborhood and eat the cost. Not worth the carfax hit for 200.

If they want to go through insurance then go through insurance. However, it might show on the carfax. If you intend to keep the car then it doesn't matter what shows on the carfax.

When the insurance company sends someone out to inspect the car, they will give you an estimate. You can take the cash value of the estimate and get the repair done where ever you want and pocket the difference.

If you want the full repair then choose the shop and the insurance will pay the full amount regardless of how much it is.

I agree, as soon as you involve insurance or police, regardless of fault you run the risk of a Carfax report, which can be VERY costly depending on how long from now you might ever trade the car. The Diminished Value would far exceed the cost of the repair. Problem is the neighbor doesn't care about your diminished value. But you could argue for it from her insurance company.

It sounded like he tried the dentless approach, but was a no go.

I read it as he gave her estimates and she blew them off responding with her insurance information. She sounds full of bad decisions really. Imagine taking a ding on your insurance for something that can be fixed quite easily with no harm to occupants at an amount less than the typical deductible.

I read it as he gave her estimates and she blew them off responding with her insurance information. She sounds full of bad decisions really. Imagine taking a ding on your insurance for something that can be fixed quite easily with no harm to occupants at an amount less than the typical deductible.

It sounded like she was willing to do the $200 dentless but OP found out that was not an option (maybe based on a visit) and then came back with a body shop repair estimate for $600 and then the she said let's do this through insurance. She might be right because she has no idea if when it's all done it might be $2000.00. Can't really blame her.

What she should do is let it get covered by insurance, wait for work to get done. But before insurance pays out she should ask what the impact is on her insurance and if the cost is low enough that she would cover it and insurance if paid out they would keep it off the books (not sure if it's too late). Not sure if that's realistic or not.

Rereading OP post I'm not sure what was meant by "first $200" "second $600". Maybe first interaction was with insurance response.

If insurance stays in the picture, I would get "Diminished Value" talk going early. I think I read other posts too that recommend finding a Pro to do the negotiating for you. And it doesn't matter how small a repair it was, Carfax report can be costly.

Last edited: