TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Door Ding/Gash on a Loaner

Discussion in 'Model S' started by glh280, Feb 15, 2016.

1. glh280

glh280 Member

Someone's kid slammed their door into the side of the Model S loaner I had. When I returned the car Tesla said they were going to have it fixed and bill me for the repair as I signed responsibility for the car. The ding went all the way down to the body, and was about 1 inch long. The repair quote came back today at $509. I have the mother's contact information and will try following up with her, but ultimately the responsibility is on me.

FYI, be aware.

Attached Files:

2. Drivin

Drivin Member

It is good for people to know: If you are responsible for the car, you are responsible for the damages.
    It isn't the responsibility for Tesla to get reimbursed by the kid who scratched your car.

This is IMPORTANT!

3. tom66

tom66 Member

Would insurance cover the damages? (If it were over the deductible of course.)
    I presume that Tesla insures the cars for the period you possess them, but like most rental policies the deductible is probably very high.

4. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Um, ultimately it's the kid's mom who the responsibility falls on. You could, in theory, go after the mom's insurance to cover, under the theory that you are entitled to be made whole (e.g., no out of pocket cost to you).

5. glh280

glh280 Member

The mom and I agree on this one. She agreed to pay the repair bill and will be calling Tesla today to coordinate the payment.

6. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

I think you're thinking about this wrong.

Because Tesla is the owner of the loaner, it certainly has the car insured for legally-required minimal liability coverage. I have no idea if they carry other insurance for damage to the car, or whether they essentially self-insure. But they certainly wouldn't extend any damage insurance to glh280 while he's driving it as a loaner. The situation would be analogous to driving a rental car in which he had declined the various damage waivers.

On the other hand, the OP probably has his own MS insured against damage (unless he likes living dangerously...). Most auto insurance will cover policy holders when they drive substitute or rental vehicles. So, even if the other family weren't doing the right thing, he could look to his *own* insurance for coverage.

(When I first bought mine, I was a little worried about this point: Some auto policies exclude coverage for rented exotic vehicles. If you normally drive a Kia but go rent a Bentley, they may balk. But my company, at least, confirmed that they would always cover a service loaner. YMMV.)

7. snellenr

snellenr Member

This would also be covered under the comprehensive insurance on your policy, which usually has better deductibles and less "sensitivity" to claims (on policy costs) than collisions.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

While I think Tesla's clearly entitled to repair costs, I have to say I'm a little surprised they're going after people for door dings (even ones that are, admittedly, bad). I wonder if they got more strict once the CPO program launched? I've had loaners with huge dents and scratches, curb rash over 100% of the wheel, etc. And here they're making a fuss about a door ding.

That said, since they are looking to be reimbursed, they are being relatively nice about it. Most rental companies charge you loss-of-use in addition to the repair. Seems unlikely that measly $500 would cover both, so they probably are just charging repair costs.

9. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Right, most people assume the car is insured for damage when they rent a car, but the car is not unless you pay extra for damage waivers. The way around that is some credit cards offer free rental car insurance if you use the card to pay for the rental (although it won't apply here given the free loaner). Or as you point out, if you have comprehensive insurance.

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

Sure glad I take a 100+ pictures every time I get a loaner as they always have dozens of cosmetic dings just like the one you pictured. I seriously doubt there was a customer for each of those that paid Tesla.

11. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

Had a similar ding, from using Tesla's own J1772's near a mall. Another Tesla passenger must not have gave a sh!t, and put a small crease right in the beltline, above the handle. Of course, it doesn't help that their J1772 240V stations can make the supercharger spots look like deluxe suites. I learned.

12. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I have had good experience with Tesla in this regard, though only one occasion that is even like this. A few months ago I had a loaner and 2 miles up the road the TPMS light came on. Tesla found a nail in the 21" wheel on the P85+ I was driving and replaced the wheel. No charge. Maybe because I went only 2 miles or maybe because they could repair the tire for other loaner use and swap it again later, but they didn't even say a thing.

13. sorka

sorka Active Member

Every nail I've ever had has me first putting air back in the tire and being just a bit lazy about getting it fixed. The result is that the TPMS doesn't fire off again anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks depending on the incident. So they probably figured it was nearly impossible for it to have been yours.

So they decided not to NAIL you for it :)

14. glh280

glh280 Member

I think you might be right about the CPO, and it was how I helped explain the charge to the other mom. Tesla has the loaner listed as a CPO for $75k. They had a valid point that the buyer of that car would not want a ding is such a visible place. Oddly enough there was a huge scrape on the front bumper but they did not intend to fix that until the car was sold as they normally repaint those anyways.

15. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Seems weird they would consider painting the bumper a normal thing that would be done for all their CPOs. A repainted bumper is to many a warning sign of unreported accident damage.

16. Vince Cobelo

Vince Cobelo Member

So...what is the lesson to be learned here?

Maybe not take the loaner? Or have it so the loaner is a rental that cost $1 and charge it to a card? Seriously. This could happen to anyone. In this case it was minor damage (if minor is $500) but it could be more. The culprit hauls azz and takes no responsibility.

How can we structure this to mitigate the responsibility?

17. stopcrazypp

Most likely because whoever took the loaner back didn't examine the car for dings (or deemed it too minor to count). Most rental car places have a sheet with a diagram where they walk through with you and circle locations of preexisting damage on the the diagram before renting it to you and then they refer back to the same sheet to inspect the car for damage when they get the car back. I presume Tesla doesn't don't do that if you have to take pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Lesson is to treat the loaner like your own car and don't automatically assume you are covered. The only good thing in this case is Tesla likely doesn't charge a loss of use fee and/or administrative fee like a rental would.

18. sorka

sorka Active Member

Tesla does it just like any rental car company does. But they don't mark things down often saying it's too small, smaller than a quarter, minor scratch doesn't count, etc. I take the pictures to protect myself in case the person who's doing the walk around has different standards for what should have been written down and decides something that was there should be my fault because it wasn't on the sheet.

I've done this for rentals ever since digital cameras became common place in the late 90's and it's saved my by almost a dozen times by now.

The worst case was when I rented a Dollar car in Seattle one way to drop off in Vancouver, WA. The car had literally hundreds of door dings, scratches, and dozens of windshield chips. The Dollar guy refused to mark a single item down on the list because he said they were all smaller than a quarter. I took a video of him next to the car saying that and about 50 pictures all the way around time and gps stamped.

When I pulled up to the Vancouver airport to drop it off, they looked at the damage assessment form and told me that none of the damage was listed and that they'd need to make a claim against my insurance. I showed them the video and the pictures all proving that every bit of the damage was already there at the time of pickup. They told me it didn't matter because it wasn't in the contract.

They made a claim against my insurance and charged my credit card $4K. I turned over the video and photos to AAA and they of course denied Dollar's claim and said that I was not at fault for the damage that was already present prior to me renting the car as evidenced by my video and photos. They also said they'd provide me an attorney free of charge if Dollar per sued this in civil court(unless of course they sued me in small claims). I took AAA's letter and provided it to my credit card company which promptly reversed the charge. I was seriously considering suing Dollar for fraud. I was pissed. But in the end, they didn't pursue it most likely because they had an insurance company and credit card company telling them to eat ****.

19. stopcrazypp

Wow, given your prior experience, I don't blame you at all. So far when I rent, I am lucky to get cars that are free of dings and I haven't done a one-way (will be doing that soon). I will take your advice though, given the situation is different when the person and location inspecting is different.

20. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

I don't think Tesla is being unreasonable though and the amount they are asking is certainly not outrageous for fixing that damage. They are lending you their car and you have a responsibility to return it in the same condition. If they demanded $1,500 or $2,000 I can see a problem with this but what they are asking for is really fair.