Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door ding on new car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a new Model Y and within a month got a door ding in apartment while charging. Sentry got it in action but I was wondering if this is something that can be fixed with pain correction ?

I got estimates nearby but the hassle of insurance , possibility of carfax - i was thinking if I should touch up and call it a day.

Attachments

• IMG_4770.JPG
    IMG_4770.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 360
Yeah, looks like no metal bent. Which is great.

Looks like the other car left something behind.

If you are not comfortable messing with it, bring it to a detailer. If it needs paint, get a touch up kit and ask them if they know how. It’s a bit of art using the touch up kits. Some colors are easier than others.

Definitely no insurance worthy.

Also check with paint less dent remover places.

It's a car. It's a very minor ding. $1200-1400? Of course, if you want them to respray the entire door, and blend it into the fender.

Detail shop can help. Or, search for a good paintless dent removal shop.
Insurance? Carfax? Not even close. ;)

Last edited:
It's a car. It's a very minor ding. $1200-1400? Of course, if you want them to respray the entire hood, and blend it into the fenders.

Detail shop can help. Or, search for a good paintless dent removal shop.
Insurance? Carfax? Not even close. ;)
Why paint the hood. It’s only the door.

BTW any imperfection in matching will probably be worse than the ding. A good body shop should match blend it perfect but you don’t always get the best on a tiny job.

There is very very minor dent. Not noticeable unless we see closely. I tried to get estimate from Tesla approved shops and it ranged from 1200-4000. Crazy.
Find a good detail guy, buff it out and touch up paint, buff some more, clear it, buff again some more.

Btw, here's some paint chip repair I did on thewifes car for ex.

Same thing happened to us six months after getting the Y. Big ole Infinity SUV parked next to us and the kid in the back opens the door and leaves a dimple on our passenger-side rear door. We didn’t realize it until a few days later when I was washing the car. The Mom must’ve been aware of it and told the kid to close his door again. She then exits the driver’s door and reopens the rear door, this time using her hand as a door edge guard while helping her kid out, but the damage has already been done Mom! Should have helped your kid out much earlier, not after the fact. Sentry Mode shows her glancing towards the inside of our Y because I suspect she knows about Sentry Mode.

Anyways, her SUV was missing a front license plate and I unfortunately don’t have a good angle of her rear license plate. Long way to say we are living with the dimple because it’s small and not too noticeable. I don’t want to risk making the matter worse so we’ve left it alone.

Reactions: Pianewman
Yea. Hate when other drivers are so careless!

my first Y, saw a open spot to charge the car at a public free charger. i probably only got 10 or so miles. Level 2 charger For 30 min. I got back in my car and ready to go. A mom decided to park next to me and just swing her door open and causing a nice ding on my door. I was mad but what can u do. she was so nice apologizing. after this incident, if the spot is not singe or big, another EV can have it. I would park away from front entrances now or way in the back where no cars would park Or look for single spots. I need the walking anyways.

on my second Y and 10k miles, it’s still in mint condition with no dings. 😁

I find all this fuss over door dings very amusing. In the Fort Worth area, parking lots in general have large spaces, unlike in other parts of the country, so for us it isn't a huge issue.

After traveling a 5500 mile road trip, parking in so many regions, I honestly think the general public is MUCH more aware of avoiding door dings than they were 30-40 years ago,

That said, the occasional "OH SUGAR" incident will occur, and sometimes you just have to let it go...and yes, every time you walk up to your car, you'll see it...EVERY TIME!!!

It's a pet peeve of mine, I park way out in the cheap seats to avoid it.

Long time ago I witnessed something I've always wanted to do. I was in the grocery store parking lot, a woman pulled into a parking spot next to a nice pickup truck with the owner sitting in the driver's seat of the truck. The woman winged her door open and slammed it into the pickup's passenger door. The truck driver calmly exited his vehicle, reached into the bed and pulled out a ball peen hammer. He walked up to her car, whacked her driver's door with the hammer (he took a baseball swing), leaving a huge dent, waved the hammer at the woman and said, "There, now we're even." He then got in his truck and drove off. She called the cops, they declined to do anything about it once four witnesses told him what she had done. He told her she should be more careful of others' property and they'd be more careful of hers.

Another story about parking in the cheap seats, I was driving my first new car (previous car was a $200 '62 VW), had it only four days. I was going to Sears, parked way out in the lot, not a car within 60 feet of mine. I was in the store 5 minutes, came out to find the left rear of my car crunched, and the pieces of my tail light piled carefully on my hood, and a note on the windshield. The note said, "Everyone saw me hit your car, they think I am leaving my contact number but I am not, have a nice day! :)" When I asked the people standing near the door if anyone got the license number and they all said, no because he was leaving it in the note. The only upside was when I was chuckling about it at a local bar and the bartender asked what was so funny, I told him and he said anyone who could laugh about that deserved free drinks for the entire evening.

Last edited: