TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door Dinged Today

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by kirbo20, Oct 21, 2019.

1. kirbo20

kirbo20 Member

I park as far away as possible and an F350 parks right next to me. Fortunately after watching the video it was not intentional just carelessness on a windy day. I filed a police report and left a note asking her to call me with her insurance information so hopefully I do not run into any roadblocks.

Question, does something as small as a door ding constitute me going after additional damages for diminished value or does this not show up on an accident report? I plan on selling in the next 2-3 depending on when the Tesla truck comes out and I do not want to take a hit then if this little incident diminishes my value.

2. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

I LOVE how she tried to “rub it out” with 3 strokes of her thumb. On a more serious note. PDR. $100 bucks Done and Done. Been there done that. If not....hope it’s not too much headache and she come through for you.

Ski

• Like x 2
  3. tvad

tvad Member

TMC Secret Decoder Ring...PDR = Paintless Dent Repair.

Good suggestion.

• Like x 1
  4. kirbo20

kirbo20 Member

The officer went above and beyond and stayed around for a little while and got her statement and she admitted fault. She also called me after she spoke to him. Unfortunately the paint looks like it is scraped so a PDR may not be an option.

5. billionaiire

billionaiire Member

Well, carfax will likely report it because you’ve filed a police report. I hope you know that.

6. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

I don't know whether the police report will necessitate a CarFax report due to low dollar value. But definitely if you had just gone through insurance it falls well below the legal threshold for a report to the DMV.

Anyway, just do PDR. Is it on the rear door panel? Looks very unlikely that the paint is damaged in any significant way; PDR should take care of it unless it is in an impossible location.

Out of decency, I'd recommend that you figure out a quote for PDR and then just ask for the appropriate cash for the PDR from the party involved without involving insurance claims. Obviously some risks involved there, but if all seems on the up and up, it will save them money on their insurance long-term.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

About the only thing that I could see as a "wrong" would be improper parking, since it appears they are on the line.
    But I'm guessing it is on private property, which made limit what can be done.

Wear the door dint as a badge. It was going to happen some time. I'm usually happy when I get my first one, then I don't need to worry about it anymore.

8. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I would have waited on the police report. Especially since you have a video with the data.

As others have said, this should be a simple painless dent repair and best handled without police or insurance.

Find a reputable PDR place and get a quote before you decide the next steps.

9. t0ddly

t0ddly Member

Curious to know if she calls. Bummer - is it bad? PDR done right can do wonders.

10. kirbo20

kirbo20 Member

I’ll run it by a shop tomorrow to see what they say. The paint looks damaged to me but I’ll let the experts look at it.

11. kirbo20

kirbo20 Member

She did call, admitted fault, and killed me with kindness but the officer said she was really rude to him about the situation. If the paint is damaged I am sure that would be expensive. If it is just a dent that PDR will handle then I wouldn’t consider it bad.

• Like x 1
  12. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

Can you show us a picture of the damage, looks like the door took the impact, can you buff it out or did it break the paint?

Fred

13. kirbo20

kirbo20 Member

It’s dark and rainy here at the moment so it’s hard to get a good picture. This is after I cleaned it the best I could. It might have minor paint damage.

B3E75D9F-052F-4903-B6DA-05414E59E776.jpeg

14. deadlion

deadlion Member

I thought it was just me - I park on the end, away from the crowd some distance away. Upon return to the car the largest vehicle in the lot joins me in this remote area but over the line and too too close. I hate door dings. PDR may be the play.

15. KenC

KenC Active Member

Nuts, she goes out of her way to park a monster F350 next to you, then she parks on the line. She lets her bag brush your car, and then gives your car a little rub. Just nuts.

• Like x 1
  16. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Love to know what kind of repair was required. Update?

17. Warpdryv

Warpdryv Member

I think I'd PDR that and just hope a polish would clean up the paint. a repaint would probably cause more problems.