Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Dinged Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park as far away as possible and an F350 parks right next to me. Fortunately after watching the video it was not intentional just carelessness on a windy day. I filed a police report and left a note asking her to call me with her insurance information so hopefully I do not run into any roadblocks.

Question, does something as small as a door ding constitute me going after additional damages for diminished value or does this not show up on an accident report? I plan on selling in the next 2-3 depending on when the Tesla truck comes out and I do not want to take a hit then if this little incident diminishes my value.

The officer went above and beyond and stayed around for a little while and got her statement and she admitted fault. She also called me after she spoke to him. Unfortunately the paint looks like it is scraped so a PDR may not be an option.

I park as far away as possible and an F350 parks right next to me. Fortunately after watching the video it was not intentional just carelessness on a windy day. I filed a police report and left a note asking her to call me with her insurance information so hopefully I do not run into any roadblocks.

Question, does something as small as a door ding constitute me going after additional damages for diminished value or does this not show up on an accident report? I plan on selling in the next 2-3 depending on when the Tesla truck comes out and I do not want to take a hit then if this little incident diminishes my value.

Well, carfax will likely report it because you’ve filed a police report. I hope you know that.

I don't know whether the police report will necessitate a CarFax report due to low dollar value. But definitely if you had just gone through insurance it falls well below the legal threshold for a report to the DMV.

Anyway, just do PDR. Is it on the rear door panel? Looks very unlikely that the paint is damaged in any significant way; PDR should take care of it unless it is in an impossible location.

Out of decency, I'd recommend that you figure out a quote for PDR and then just ask for the appropriate cash for the PDR from the party involved without involving insurance claims. Obviously some risks involved there, but if all seems on the up and up, it will save them money on their insurance long-term.

About the only thing that I could see as a "wrong" would be improper parking, since it appears they are on the line.
But I'm guessing it is on private property, which made limit what can be done.

Wear the door dint as a badge. It was going to happen some time. I'm usually happy when I get my first one, then I don't need to worry about it anymore.

I would have waited on the police report. Especially since you have a video with the data.

As others have said, this should be a simple painless dent repair and best handled without police or insurance.

Find a reputable PDR place and get a quote before you decide the next steps.

It’s dark and rainy here at the moment so it’s hard to get a good picture. This is after I cleaned it the best I could. It might have minor paint damage.

B3E75D9F-052F-4903-B6DA-05414E59E776.jpeg

I thought it was just me - I park on the end, away from the crowd some distance away. Upon return to the car the largest vehicle in the lot joins me in this remote area but over the line and too too close. I hate door dings. PDR may be the play.