TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door exit controls

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by amitmishra4, Jun 3, 2018.

1. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

When I carry passengers in my model 3, I usually notice people struggle to grasp right away how to open the door from the inside and I have to tell them quick enough to use the button or they look for and find the pull release... and then there is the confusion about which button. I don’t know if anyone has actually really even used the pull release in my car but it is a source of stress (minor) for me. Is there a device available that perhaps clips onto the emergency release to prevent it from being easily triggered (counter intuitive I know but still) so the motivation is to use the button? And is there an easier way to call it out instead of having to brief every passenger? It gets kinda redundant after having done it a dozen times already. Inputs appreciated.

2. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

I put carbon fiber vinyl over, it without cutting out for the release.

• Like x 4
  3. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

How does that look and feel? I think this is the solution I'm going to go with.

4. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

Not perfect, but works very well.

5. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

I read this in a similar post a few months back: tell them to use their thumb to press the button. Most people will intuitively grab the door handle and press down on the door release button when you tell them that. If you tell them just to press the button, they always seem to find the window switch first.

The door opening mechanism is so uncommon that it really is up to the driver to remind the passengers every time, unfortunately. There are hundreds of millions of vehicles with door pulls that operate the same basic way. The emergency release is similar enough to those handles that it's not surprising most people will think that's how you open the doors.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. daranello

daranello Member

Black duck tape..

7. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I do this too & it's usually not a big deal. My phrase is "grab the handle and push the button with your thumb".

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. eli_

eli_ Member

Sometimes I just don't say anything and they panic when they realize they don't know how to exit the car.

• Funny x 1