Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door gap within spec.. push back?

What’s your opinion?

• Leave it

• Have it fixed

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visited my service appointment and the tech gave me the impression that trying to fix this gap might cause other worse gaps.

Should I push back on this or leave it?

4DDB5108-10FA-4787-9F8B-A185057F47D3.jpeg

Is the corner of the front door bent in? It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo. Can you post another photo, straight on the side of the car?

if it is my car, i don’t like it.
how is the window? how does the top of the door look? do they all line up okay?

if the bottom of the door is sink inward, the top of the door must pop out, right?

The rest of the door looks fine to my eye. Here’s a picture of it straight on:
D09140C6-64F5-423C-B308-CA47D70D4F1D.jpeg

looking at the picture from the side, the door do look like it is hinged properly.

so that mean the bottom part of the metal piece of the front door was curved in few millimeter inward in the manufacturing process.

i am afraid it is not much the tech can do by adjusting the attachment bolts. if the bottom lineup, the top will not. i would rather the top line up first. And i don’t want them banging on the metal to reshape it to fit!!
Maybe tesla tech can send your car out to a body shop to fit it. Body shop should be able or take the door off and bend it within spec. ( not the tesla spec)

This is QA process failure in tesla in my mind. They should have rejected this metal piece before it hit their assembly line.

Last edited:
I have seen this exact issue on a lot of Ys, including mine. I've also seen videos on the web where basically every vehicle on the lot had this issue, usually the front doors. When I asked at service, it was described as a "characteristic of the car".

I tend to agree with the assessment that them fixing it will likely cause you worse issues.

• Funny
Reactions: ilikemypizza
By the way, on my Y, the top and bottom back edges of the passenger front door are flush with the body, but the middle of the back edge (near the door handle) bulges out slightly. I concluded that any attempt to fix it will result in worse damage and decided to do nothing. It looks like they're still having problems with the molding of the door metal.

• Informative
Reactions: laughMan
this is exactly the same as the GM, Ford of the 1980s. As long as the consumer are willing to accept the subpar product, and pay the money, the company does not care.

After all, we voted with our money and encouraged them to continue the same lousy subpar QA process.

Only when the consumer demand better quality from them, and not willing to pay them to be their QA, then tesla may start invest in QA seriously.

For that to happen, we will need serious competition in this space. Not happening anytime soon....

Visited my service appointment and the tech gave me the impression that trying to fix this gap might cause other worse gaps.

Should I push back on this or leave it?

View attachment 629866

When you look at both pictures, the second one gives the better perspective. The door is not hung that badly. I wouldn't chase this with the SC. Instead, I would take it to a body shop and ask them to let one of their techs have a go at it. Just based on the photos, I think five minutes with a spoon (flat bladed tool used to move slightly bent/warped panels) would have this as good as can be expected. They might not even charge you.

Best to find a friend of a friend for this. In my case, I managed/owned a body shop for thirteen years, so easy to do for me. There are many guys who worked with and for me who are still in the business. I took my MY by a shop managed by a friend (who once worked for me). He walked around my car with an estimator's eye, showing me every imperception that would send it back to the tech if it was a car coming out of repair. I laughed, as I sent many back to him back in the day. Frank analysis, though, was the conclusion I had already reached - small potato problems not worth losing your peace over.

Bottom line. We own a revolutionary piece of technology that addresses a whole-world problem. Best not to get too concerned over the first-world ones. Just my humble opinion. :) Enjoy your car.

Body shop visit: Ask them to lower the back of the front door about .0001". (joking about the exact measurement...just the very smallest movement possible) The slightest adjustment would help the top of the leading edge gap, which is narrow, and it would line up the front door creases with the back door creases...also the black trim on top could drop a very slight amount.