Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle broken in odd way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, hoping someone can help me find the part needed to fix my driver rear door handle for my Model S built September 2018 (gen 3 door handles?)

The handle still presents (pops out) but does not open when you pull on it. It also retracts, but no longer sits flush with the door. The LED light under the handle also no longer turns on.

I suspect some kind of wiring harness issue and not a broken mechanical part of the door handle itself due to the symptoms, but having a very hard time figuring out which part I should get to attempt to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have a gen 3 handle, there are no microswitches.
Appreciate the info. Any idea of what could have caused the problem with the symptoms I mentioned above? Is there some kind of cable that can be replaced on the gen 3 handles?

EDIT: watched this video and it was very helpful

looks like there's a sensor in there that could need replacing, going to open the door panel to get a part number tomorrow and give it a shot.

Last edited:
The common failure points sound like they are still working. We often see the gears breaking on the motor, (which we now carry the complete motors for that reason). But you could always push a Software Re-Install to try and recalibrate the Hall Effect Sensors.
Hello, hoping someone can help me find the part needed to fix my driver rear door handle for my Model S built September 2018 (gen 3 door handles?)

The handle still presents (pops out) but does not open when you pull on it. It also retracts, but no longer sits flush with the door. The LED light under the handle also no longer turns on.

I suspect some kind of wiring harness issue and not a broken mechanical part of the door handle itself due to the symptoms, but having a very hard time figuring out which part I should get to attempt to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My driver's door handle (2015 Model S) was replaced May 9 by Tesla mobile service. $323.87 Now its doing what you describe. Presents but won't open. Also retracts normally. Just can't open no matter how hard I pull. Initially when first repaired May 9 it worked, but gradually got harder and harder to pull the door open. Now even Superman couldn't open it. I'll post what they do/say when mobile service comes to fix it Monday.

• Informative
Reactions: tesluv108
I had the same problem on my 2018 S with Gen3 handles, we replaced the module (for a parts price of only $28! because I had already torn the door down) and reprogrammed the module to the car with Toolbox and that worked for a couple days and then went back to the same issue. Tesla ended up replacing the whole door handle goodwill and the problem is gone.

They came and fixed my door for the second attempt today. Its working properly again. I got no info when asked what the problem was. He said he didn't see anything wrong. He did say he hooked up his computer and reset it, as I understood it. We'll see I guess.

What is not talked about here often is that the power and signal wires for the rear door run through the front door wiring harness. The driver's door harness gets the most wear so the driver's rear door is often effected. Not sure it is the OP's problem but I would be suspicious whenever the driver's rear door is doing something weird.

A couple of easy things to check. If the problem is intermittent. Open and close the front door to see if it fixes. For me, mine would work correctly when the front door was open. Also, pull the boot back on the front door wiring harness and looked for damaged wires.

The rear door is daisy chained to the front door handle (at least in 2015) which is a pretty crappy design decision if you ask me.

This happened to me today on an 11/2015 build. This is totally unacceptable for 9100 miles on the odometer. The door handle on the passenger side front retracts but the door won’t open (only manual release from inside) . Has anyone determined if this is software related and if any type of fix exists IMG_0894.jpeg

This happened to me today on an 11/2015 build. This is totally unacceptable for 9100 miles on the odometer. The door handle on the passenger side front retracts but the door won’t open (only manual release from inside) . Has anyone determined if this is software related and if any type of fix existsView attachment 968713
It's expected for a 2015 with miles that low. All the low miles cars have everything break from lack of use, motors, batteries , small parts it's a car get out and drive it! Us high mile cars have very little go bad because we drive the crap out of it and things get used

Reactions: ResHacker
It's expected for a 2015 with miles that low. All the low miles cars have everything break from lack of use, motors, batteries , small parts it's a car get out and drive it! Us high mile cars have very little go bad because we drive the crap out of it and things get used
Yeah I bought it used last year with 4300 miles on it. I’ve been driving it a lot more than it’s first 6 years

Eh, my 15 has almost 320K miles on it and I just had a handle go bad(der). :)

This happened to me today on an 11/2015 build. This is totally unacceptable for 9100 miles on the odometer. The door handle on the passenger side front retracts but the door won’t open (only manual release from inside) . Has anyone determined if this is software related and if any type of fix existsView attachment 968713
Definitely sounds like the usual micro switch/harness failure.
I just had a pawl break in mine and bought a kit for $35 off Amazon that includes the pawl, micro switches/harness and some of the trim panel mounts that wear out.

• Helpful
Reactions: tesluv108
I wonder what they do to “recalibrate”? My front passenger door remains broken with door handle presenting but only opening when reaching in
As I understand it if you have Gen 3 handles then the recalibrate function may be in service mode. I have it in mine but others have reported not having it
If you still have micro switches then it sounds like you just need to replace that harness.

Reactions: Gtech
Just noticed my driver door handle light was off. It turned on as I pulled the handle to open the door (still works fine in that regard)

Bad sign of things to come? is a more dire failure imminent?
Best guess is a wire that's been bent too many times. Most likely it would stay intermittent or just stay off entirely.

On my 15' S85D I thought maybe my driver's side handle didn't come with a light or had been replaced with a handle without the light at some point by the previous owner. Then one day the light worked. Don't think I've seen it work again (yet) though. :)