Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MDS

Dec 2, 2012
Detroit
I have a reservation for a model S. I went for my 1st test drive yesterday (weeeeeee!). I do have a concern (probably a little picky), but the sales person said "not to worry". The concern was with the the opening and closing of the door. It seems to me that the technology is that of about 25-30 yrs ago, when doors just did not open or close "cleanly". I am used to later model vehicles that make a SOLID sound when you close the door. When I closed the Model S door it seemed, less solid and "clunky". I also had to close the door fairly firmly, if I didnt, the door did not close. It also seemed as if the glass caught (lightly) in the frame...it just did not seem that well put together. The Tesla person reassured me that on the Demo's this is indeed the case but on the NEW deliveries they have worked out those "issues". I realize it is somewhat "petty" of a concern, but if you are spending 80-100K for a vehicle I would expect a solid, gliding perfectly opening and closing doors....Thoughts by those who test drove and those who have accepted vehicles? Thx

Passenger side door supposedly takes a little more force than other doors. Don't know why. Have been told it is on purpose (tho what purpose is beyond my comprehension). I don't understand the more force part, seems ok to me.

Everything else... well, have had the car for a month and prefer to every other car I've been in or driven.