Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle doesn’t fully retract

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought up the same issue for my model 3 at the service center, they added some silicone lubricant to the handles which seemed to fix the issue. Doing this will definitely cause the lubricant to drip down the outside of the door, I would wipe that away as quick as possible.

We had this problem on the driver’s door. I just fixed it Sunday using the technique in post #3 above. Works fine now. Time will tell how well it lasts.

Pro tip: do it in good lighting conditions so you can see the pin and spring depicted in the instructions. When I first looked in my garage, it was a black hole. Out in the sunny driveway it was obvious.

As a preventative measure going into winter time, how frequently should WD40 be applied? Once a season, or more frequently?
Thanks!
It wouldn’t hurt to spray some in just before winter. At minimum it will cost the mechanisms before the salt dust gets in there.
You may need to do it again mid winter if needed.
I rarely have to spray anything in mine.
Keep in mind, WD40 isn’t a great lubricant. It’s mostly a penetrating oil, and water displacement oil.
It doesn’t last long as a lubricant.
Spraying a very small amount of a different kind of light oil would likely coat better and last longer, as a preventative measure.