Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle failed after 24 months - longevity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have now joined the door handle replacement club. The front passenger door handle failed (would not respond to touch) after about 24 months, which reminded us that owning this car out of warranty is going to be a big question for us. Currently at 32,000 miles.

You made it 23 months longer than I did so what are you complaining about. :)

I had one door handle replaced within the first month when the door decided to open itself while I was driving. A second handle was replaced after it became non-responsive.

And this is the "new and improved" handle design on a refresh S.

This track record doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy on long term longevity.

I had my front, driver-side door handle replaced at around the 2 year mark too. Probably similar mileage as OP. Same scenario: not responsive to touch. Usually had a passenger that could open the driver door from the inside for me. (I could have tied an embarrassing "string of shame" to it. lol)

Reactions: davidc18
We have now joined the door handle replacement club. The front passenger door handle failed (would not respond to touch) after about 24 months, which reminded us that owning this car out of warranty is going to be a big question for us. Currently at 32,000 miles.

You are lucky indeed. My driver side handle went out at 54,000 miles. Luckily only a $200 repair so not too bad.

First door handle broke within the first month.
Second door handle broke a couple months ago (so about 20 months in)

These are the "new and improved Gen 2 handles", lol.

Can't wait to own the car out of warranty.

December 2014 S85. Rear left handle went out a year ago. Replaced entire handle under warranty. Same handle had an issue last week. This time they only replaced the micro-switches (3) and reinstalled it. It was covered under warranty but they said it was about $3 worth of micro-switches. Took about an hour so they seem to be able to fix certain issues for under $200 worth of labor.

Self fixing the micro switch of the door handle: I have seen videos to remove the (rear) door panel, which is fairly easy.
Rear Door Panel Removal of the Tesla Model S
Remove two small covers and 3 screws, pry the pannel from the bottom.
The real challenge is getting the handle out safely. I assume it requires to remove the window first. Is there a video or description on how to do it?
The fix of the switch itself should be esay (with soldering skills provided), the cable should then be routed with more room to flex than before to ensure a longer lasting repair.
Tesla Model S door microswitch DIY repair

Just happened to me today. 40k miles/65k km. Almost 2 years. Front door handle.
Odd behavior. Handle presents as usual, but instead off retracting a few mm back, stays fully out. Of course, pulling does not open the door. Makes odd noise, then after like 10s it goes back in. Then tries again.
Has some one else this experience?

IMG_0055.PNG
Here is a picture of the handle fully out.

My assumption, based on what I had read before on this forum, is that a majority, if not a vast majority of door handles will fail within life time of the car.

Also, the center control is bound to fail as well. I have never owned any computing device, be it a computer, monitor, tv, video game machine, pad, phone, etc. that lasted 8 years without failing.

Sorry for the naive question, but when does touching the door handle make it come out? I have the self-presenting option set, so the majority of the time I don't touch the handle to pop it out, but the few times I do touch it I find it doesn't retract, so I end up digging for the key or the app to open the door. It could be that I need to apply more force, but I was told not to push on the door handle so I'm always concerned about damaging one of the components.

My assumption, based on what I had read before on this forum, is that a majority, if not a vast majority of door handles will fail within life time of the car.

Also, the center control is bound to fail as well. I have never owned any computing device, be it a computer, monitor, tv, video game machine, pad, phone, etc. that lasted 8 years without failing.

The owners of retro gaming systems and my stack of working iPhones from 2007 and up beg to differ. If it's built well it will last. Heck Solar inverters have warranties over 10 years. Wouldn't make much sense for companies to warranty electronics with an expected failure rate under the term.

Sorry for the naive question, but when does touching the door handle make it come out? I have the self-presenting option set, so the majority of the time I don't touch the handle to pop it out, but the few times I do touch it I find it doesn't retract, so I end up digging for the key or the app to open the door. It could be that I need to apply more force, but I was told not to push on the door handle so I'm always concerned about damaging one of the components.

Kindly RTM - page 5 & page 7 - and if not operator error, check your battery. I've found there is limited warning before they give out. (I keep a spare in the car just in case)

"When you walk up to Model S carrying your key, doors automatically unlock. If a door handle is retracted, press it and it extends. If the Auto-Present Handles setting is turned on (see Using Exterior Door Handles on page 6), you do not need to touch the door handle. Instead, door handles extends automatically as you approach Model S.".

"Using Exterior Door Handles A light press on a door handle extends it, provided Model S detects a valid key nearby. You can set the door handles to extend automatically whenever you approach the driver’s side carrying the key. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Auto-Present Handles > On. Note: Depending on date of manufacture and options selected at time of purchase, some Model S vehicles are not equipped with AutoPresent Handles. Insert your hand into the handle and pull to open the door. Door handles retract if you do not use them within one minute after they extend. Just press a handle to extend it again. Door handles also retract a minute after the last door closes, when Model S begins moving, and when you lock Model S. Note: To preserve battery life, Model S is designed to temporarily disable the AutoPresent Handles feature when: • The key has been out of range for more than 48 hours. • The key remains within range for five minutes after all doors have been closed. In these cases, extend door handles by touching one of them, or by pressing the unlock button on the key. There is no need to reset the setting. The next time you approach Model S, provided the above conditions do not apply, handles automatically extend."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60