TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door Handle Failures

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Skotty, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Model S door handles: when are they going to fix these things?

This would be a possible candidate for aftermarket product, though the risk there is that the 3rd party works hard to develop a product, and then shortly after it goes on sale, Tesla comes up with a durable redesign, possibly replacing older handles under recall or something.

I may actually customize mine after it goes out of warranty. It's just some crap switches that keep failing due to crappy design.

Anyways, for the most part my S works great, and I'm very happy with it. But the door handles are starting to annoy me. I've had to have a door handle serviced about 5 times now in my 1.5 years of ownership, if I include service scheduled for tomorrow.

Anyone open up a new one recently? Did they ever flip the switches around so that they are on the parts that don't move? Did they improve the wiring any?

Mine is a 2014 Model S, roughly mid year build.

2. Max*

Max* Not Banned

I have a mid 2015, and I've been through 5 door handles so far.

3. BobbyO

BobbyO New Member

I've had my Model S ....90D for 14 months. Only issue I've had was A/C not working after I have been driving for a while. After about 11/2- 2 hours of driving. Call in Service Dept. Cathedral City, Ca. on Thursday and made appointment for the following Tuesday. When I showed up I was told they got the part and already knew where the problem was after going into my car diagnostics remotely. Wow...first time this has happened. Good job Hector........Love my Tesla

4. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I had my 2012 Signature S85 for four years and 48,000 miles... zero handle problems or replacements. YMMV.

5. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

Of course, you forgot to mention that you get in and out of your car "Dukes of Hazard" style...... ; )

I'm hoping for the aftermarket redesign. 3 handles in 1.5 years.

6. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I've been through 4 on my very late 2014. I spoke to the supervisor at the SC, the last time that mine was in. I had wanted him to change ALL of the handles to a more recent design. He commented that there had been no change in the design for the older cars, but that the ones in the newer cars were more reliable. Apparently they just keep swapping the old faulty units with brand new faulty units.

I was a little frustrated by this; I asked him if Tesla's plan was to just keep swapping them until the warranty runs out. He was very polite, and agreed that they should have fixed the design, but he hadn't seen anything yet. I interpreted that response as "yes"... they will just keep swapping them until the warranty runs out.

What do you do?

7. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I have a classic 2012... multiple door handle issues. Even have had them all replaced with the 'new' version in 2013

Maybe this will help
    Fix your door that won't open

8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

Around the time they switched to AP2 hardware, they did make changes to the door handles as well. I haven't heard of any recent cars with door handle problems so maybe the new parts will last longer...or maybe it's too soon to tell.

9. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

It just seems like something they should permanently fix, and it's bad show -- the kind of thing that will quickly turn a person off from Tesla if you are showing them a Tesla for the first time, and the $*#& door handle doesn't work. I'll fix it myself if I have to once it's out of warranty.