Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the love of God please tell me Tesla didn't mount the model 3 door sensor on the moving part, again.

Since I own a 3 as well, and live in Canada, I'm looking forward to the day it freezes shut... but I've also seen the Canadian solution of unfreezing a 3 handle with a nice little sharp blow to the thumbie part of the handle. Good thing steel doors not aluminum, because the sheet metal flexes better ... I'd be too afraid to try this if they had used Al for the model 3 door skins. But I practiced and showed my wife in case she finds herself frozen out in some parking lot some day.
It's a hall effect sensor and its stationary thankfully! Doesn't mean it's without its issues though. Some WD-40 or other lubricant that displaces water would be a good idea.

For the love of God please tell me Tesla didn't mount the model 3 door sensor on the moving part, again.

Since I own a 3 as well, and live in Canada, I'm looking forward to the day it freezes shut... but I've also seen the Canadian solution of unfreezing a 3 handle with a nice little sharp blow to the thumbie part of the handle. Good thing steel doors not aluminum, because the sheet metal flexes better ... I'd be too afraid to try this if they had used Al for the model 3 door skins. But I practiced and showed my wife in case she finds herself frozen out in some parking lot some day.

Model 3 doors are aluminum FYI! But it’s ok, my PDR guy said they are actually a lot stiffer than standard thickness steel doors. He would know...

Doh! you are right I just did the magnet test on the door skin. For some reason I thought the 3 was mostly steel to save on costs. I will be careful how I go thumping about.

The trunk lid is steel, “quarter panels” steel, large sections of the frame steel. Hood aluminum. Pictures of the frame composition online somewhere. Magnet test is really the only way I can keep track. Anyway, thump away!

Have a 2013, and ALL 4 of my door handles were replaced in sept 2017 time frame. Now the right rear door has the ubiquitous "open the driver's door, and the right rear pops open". I have literally pulled out of a parking lot with the door swinging open!! This is a safety issue! My KIDS ride in the back of this car!! Why isn't this a recall issue, other than Tesla doesn't want the negative publicity. Are they CHARGING for the fix if the car is out of warranty???

Have a 2013, and ALL 4 of my door handles were replaced in sept 2017 time frame. Now the right rear door has the ubiquitous "open the driver's door, and the right rear pops open". I have literally pulled out of a parking lot with the door swinging open!! This is a safety issue! My KIDS ride in the back of this car!! Why isn't this a recall issue, other than Tesla doesn't want the negative publicity. Are they CHARGING for the fix if the car is out of warranty???
The microswitches have gone bad or the grip is out of adjustment. They may or may not charge for this out of warranty. If you’re local to New Hampshire we can fix it for you for less than Tesla and upgrade the parts so it doesn’t happen again.

Model S door handles: when are they going to fix these things?

This would be a possible candidate for aftermarket product, though the risk there is that the 3rd party works hard to develop a product, and then shortly after it goes on sale, Tesla comes up with a durable redesign, possibly replacing older handles under recall or something.

I may actually customize mine after it goes out of warranty. It's just some crap switches that keep failing due to crappy design.

Anyways, for the most part my S works great, and I'm very happy with it. But the door handles are starting to annoy me. I've had to have a door handle serviced about 5 times now in my 1.5 years of ownership, if I include service scheduled for tomorrow.

Anyone open up a new one recently? Did they ever flip the switches around so that they are on the parts that don't move? Did they improve the wiring any?

Mine is a 2014 Model S, roughly mid year build.

i have owned my used 2014 MS for 12 months now.
-door handle number 3...this time it is the driver side...so i am screwed!!!
in one year of ownership i have been without at least one working door for almost half the time!!!! WTF???

to make matters worse- every time Tesla fixes a handle they put the panels back on and now i hear a lot of rattling from door panels. car sounds like junk.
i think I'm about dunzo with this!
car droves amazing, but the finishes quality reminds me of a KIA!

Anyone have the 3rd generation door handle having problems. I have a 2017 model S that a year a go they replace the drivers side door handle with a 3rd generation and now it is acting up. It won't present itself when all others do how ever I can push the handle and it will slowly come out but it pops the door open on its own then when you go to shut the door unless you hold it shut it will pop itself open again. any clue as to what the heck is possessing my car.

Anyone have the 3rd generation door handle having problems. I have a 2017 model S that a year a go they replace the drivers side door handle with a 3rd generation and now it is acting up. It won't present itself when all others do how ever I can push the handle and it will slowly come out but it pops the door open on its own then when you go to shut the door unless you hold it shut it will pop itself open again. any clue as to what the heck is possessing my car.

Most likely lost initialization or module crapped out. Either way its Tesla Service for you. No other option.