Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle fix. Replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Boza

2021 Model S LR+
Sep 24, 2021
Usa
2020 MS LR. Pre-refresh, Raven platform. 40k miles in, the door handle stoped presenting itself. I can hear the actuator so it is not the harness/switch. Probably, it is the gear. I can pull out the handle with the credit cards trick. Still in warranty, so I scheduled the mobile service.

Anyone else who went through this (seems common) - do they fix the gear or replace the entire handle assembly? I have “chrome delete”, so need to plan for re-applying the wrap if they replace the whole thing.

Thanks!

I had had two door handles repaired on my mid-2016 Model S repaired for similar failure where the handle would not present and was failure of the sector gear. In one case they did a full internal replacement, in the other (more recent case) they did a rebuild just replacing the gear. I do not have chrome delete or any form of wrap to be 100% certain, but I do not believe in either case the physical handle which you see from the outside was replaced.

As opposed to always needing to use a credit card or something to pry out the handle, what I did was to get a velcro strip type of cable tie. I bought a roll of these back a few years ago and keep them around to use to secure various electronic cords, etc. I was able to put it around the handle, leave the end as a pull cord. I could use that as a way to easily get the handle out far enough to get my fingers behind it to open.

Reactions: Boza
I had had two door handles repaired on my mid-2016 Model S repaired for similar failure where the handle would not present and was failure of the sector gear. In one case they did a full internal replacement, in the other (more recent case) they did a rebuild just replacing the gear. I do not have chrome delete or any form of wrap to be 100% certain, but I do not believe in either case the physical handle which you see from the outside was replaced.

As opposed to always needing to use a credit card or something to pry out the handle, what I did was to get a velcro strip type of cable tie. I bought a roll of these back a few years ago and keep them around to use to secure various electronic cords, etc. I was able to put it around the handle, leave the end as a pull cord. I could use that as a way to easily get the handle out far enough to get my fingers behind it to open.
Thanks!

I think they changed something because if I just push the handle the door opens. No need for strap.

Did they update the firmware?

When I replaced the gear on my 2015, I asked the SC what they use to repair the handle. They identified a "tech kit" that includes the paddle gear, wiring harness, e-clip, and maybe replacement microswitches. This is significantly more (I think around $200) than just buying the gear which is $6. If you can hear a whirring sound in your handle, this is the likely failure point. I'd be surprised if they replaced the entire handle.

Reactions: Boza
I just had the same problem today with my 2020 Model S driver's door exterior handle. It half presents itself part of the time and snaps back to flush the other half of the time. If I push the handle when it is flush, the door will open. I have the black wrap over the handle. I have 33k miles on mine. Should I remove the wrap before doing to Tesla to have them repair it? I assume it would be covered under warranty. The black wrap is not a factor in the operation of the handle but I do not want to give them an excuse to not cover it. My trunk trim piece had black wrap on it and it pulled loose. They refused to cover that piece under warranty. Maybe I should take it to them as is and see what they say? Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

2021 MSLR, with wraps and failed driver handle. Completely failed, as in not presenting at all.
I have “chrome delete” wrap all around. Same as you I was worried that I would need to re-wrap the handle. After reading the comments here and watching a few YT videos on how to repair I came to the conclusion that the work is performed on the mechanism; they do not replace the handle. There is a small gear that breaks and they replace that (sometimes, there are switches involved as well).
Bottom line, the ranger came and in one hour the handle was working again. No need to remove the wrap or re-wrap. He removed the door trim, opened the handle mechanism from the inside and replaced the components. They even have a kit for such repairs - it is a common break (no wonder, given the complex design). He told me that the new gear uses stronger alloy so it is unlikely to fail again. We’ll see.
So, no, don’t worry about the wrap. Just schedule a mobile service and be done. I am still under warranty so no idea how much it costs otherwise.