TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door handle glitch

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rogerbohl, Jan 8, 2017.

1. rogerbohl

rogerbohl Member

Aug 21, 2014
    My driver-side rear door will not fully unlatch (lost of the time) when the front door is open more than a few inches. This occurs because a "sliding" sound (solenoid) that normally is heard from aft of the door (when the presented rear door handle is pulled) does not occur. This is not a "hard" error, like a broken wire, but only when the front door is open more than a few inches.

Spraying lube into the latch did not help.

My guess is that when the front door is open more than a few inches, some additional current is drawn somewhere, reducing the voltage/power available to a solenoid in the rear door latch.

I've tried removing and re-inserting fuses 40 41 & 42, and rebooting the screen, to no avail. I suspect some "marginal" operation in the left rear door mechanism that is within the body, aft of the door.

Ideas, other than a shop/warranty trip -- (a nuisance)?

Roger Bohl
    [email protected]
  2. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Nov 13, 2016
    North NJ / SouthCentral PA
    If it's under warranty, let tesla fix it. Playing with it and spraying lube may void your warranty claim.
  3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Jun 24, 2014
    Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
    They had lots of problems early on: 2012, 2013. They replaced all of mine after I mentioned that the driver's door handle just sounded odd.