Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle, is this standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
on my P85 I have switched of the door handle auto present.
So now slightly push the handle, and the handle comes out.
The point, only at front doors. At the rear doors nothing happens.
The manual says that I have to push the handle to initiate the coming out.
There is not mentioned „only at the front doors“
Is this a feature, or are my both rear door handles out of order?

Thanks

I am not driving my S today so I cannot check to be sure but I believe that the option is either 1) for just the driver's door to extend when pressed or 2) for all four handles to extend when the driver's handle is pressed. I may be misremembering but I do not think there is any available option to extend only the two front doors.

I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello,

Thanks

It's only the front doors for me too. No matter what the mix of security / remote settings I seemed to try them all.

UNLESS the rear hatch stays up, after a while all handles retract... and THEN if you push on ANY handle of the 4 doors they'll all present. Try this yourself! You'll see rear doors are capable of touch-to-present... it's just the Tesla software is restricting it not to respond in some cases.

Also, have you noticed when you open hatch by remote fob it goes up but handles stay retracted. But if you open hatch by button on the hatch, it goes up at the same all handles present? I think this is normal fleet wide behaviour too.

I don't know why these things are true. Someone at Tesla must be very wise to make these decisions.

I'm still on v8 software by the way. But it's been like this for a while.

In the very good old days, when the model S software didn't insist on locking itself at all times... I do recall touching rear handles and they'd all present. It was so nice to press unlock on the fob and the car would stay unlocked in my garage all day... Now no matter what settings the car re-locks itself after a while if the fob is not detected in vicinity of car.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks

Thats right. The press to extend door handles is only for the two front doors. Nothing wrong with your rear door handles.