Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Issue - can you confirm ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My drivers side door handle on my 2014 MS is acting up. What is happening is that when I unlock the car and the handles extract the door pops open. The same when I put the car in park the handles extract and the door pops open. Same thing happening when unlocking with the keyfob. I think its probably just the 2 micro switches. Can someone here confirm that this behavior is caused by the micro switches. Since my car is out of warranty I would like to repair this myself and have seen a few videos on youtube on how to replce them. What throws me off is that everyone who had the issue on youtube the door handle wouldn't even open the car anymore when it goes bad. Mine still works so far.

So if someone who knows can confirm that my issue is also a micro switch issue I would appreciate it.

Thanks

When it fails, it's the switches or the wires/harness to them (same thing, no power to whatever triggers the opening). In your case, the shock of the handle extending is triggering the microswitch. Or it could be a broken/loose wire that is shorting precisely to trigger the opening (that's less likely to stay in place and do it repeatedly, I'd think).

I'd agree you need to pull the switch assembly out and see what the issue is, and then you can replace/repair the needed parts (switch or cable).

Remember that the earlier ones broke because the harness routing was such that the constant flexing broke the wire and later ones (or replacements) such that it flexed less. I've not seen what you have, either, but a microswitch can fail with a sensitive trigger (or move in its adjustment to be more sensitive).

Let us know or record it as you do it! :D

Reactions: Super Dude